THIRTY FIVE

Laying in bed while I stared up to the ceiling, I didn't want to move from my position the next morning

Laying in bed while I stared up to the ceiling, I didn't want to move from my position the next morning. I had possibly lost the best thing I ever knew and ruined me and Levi's partnership for good.

And it was all because of my own fears.

It was like I was in a bad dream I didn't know how to come back from.

But as much as I wanted to just sit here and dread all the little mistakes I had made since we had met...life still must go on.

"Ivy?" I heard Diana awaken me. 

Fluttering my eyes open, I glanced at my sister who was repeatedly poking the side of my thigh. "D? What's wrong? Is everything okay?" I asked a bit frantically.

She simply giggled and nodded—having no knowledge of what had just transpired hours ago. "Yeah, yeah. But it's past breakfast time. I tried to turn on the stove to make some grits, but the flame just won't work for some reason."

And that about did it for me. "Okay! I'm up! I'm up." I sat up quick and concerned, rushing to pull the covers off of my legs.

"Are ya sure ya don't wanna sleep in? It's fine. Ya did have a busy night if ya didn't even come home on time." She suggested.

Although I completely agreed, I was completely sure if I had to choose between not letting her burn our house down or my burning heartbreak.

🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

"Did ya thank our neighbor for taking care of y'all yesterday yet?" I asked my siblings as they were all scattered around the kitchen with their gleeful faces, admiring again the new meal I had laid out.

French toasts, poached eggs, and all the meat selections they could possibly want.

Staring at me carefully though, Joy smugly grinned. "Ya can say that."

Okay, I could say that but what did that even mean?

"Alright, now before ya get ready for school I want to make sure all ya homework is done correctly since I couldn't do it last night. Speaking of which, how much fuss did Mama even make about me missing?" I wondered.

By the time I got home, she along with the rest of them were all sleeping in bed—so anything that happened, I was left in the dark. Not that anything actually did.

Although the kitchen was spotless, the laundry was even all folded up and put away for the children, and the plates and leftovers were all put back exactly how I liked it.

Seemed like I would have to give Mr. Jack an extra tip for the extra mile.

Though I guess I should've told him how adamant I was toward others doing my personal work for me. It just made me feel like I was such a charity case—which was the last thing I needed to worry about now.