TWENTY EIGHT

Walking through the lounge to pick up my check, I felt an instant disconnect and the world felt peculiarly off

Walking through the lounge to pick up my check, I felt an instant disconnect and the world felt peculiarly off. Turning my vision over to the bar, Levi wasn't there. 

But who I did see nearly scared me out of my dress.

"Rochelle?" I asked in the most puzzled tone and expression.

Staring up to me after taking a customer's order, she was making it herself for the first time I'd ever seen since we met. I was in pure astonishment. She was doing a great job, don't get me wrong. But the fact of the matter was that I hadn't seen Levi too far from his bar well...ever. Definitely not used to someone else touching his favorite cocktail shaker too.

"Oh, don't look at me like that. You think I was never taught how to do work, myself?" She noticed my disbelief while pouring the next drink.

I shyly grinned and shrugged. I didn't say anything. But it was quite an odd sight to see.

"U-u-uh I think ya doing swell." I honestly confessed. She smiled and nodded. "Where's Levi though? It's not usually like him to leave his post for hardly any reason unless it's to perform...or pee." I pointed out.

She snickered, agreeing. "Trust me sweetheart, I completely understand. Fella's never missed a day of work in his life for as long as he's been with me. Even when ill, he came in here half conscious and still knew how to make a Tom Collins without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile I feel like I'm becoming such a palooka over here."

Well that only just made it seem more strange. If he never missed a day, then why now not show up?

Oh god, I hope I didn't scare him away with my feelings from our breakthrough a few days ago. Maybe he figured it all out and thought it was best to never want to see me again.

"Is there any way I can help, then?" I wondered—my check far out of my mind anymore.

Staring at me closely, she nodded slowly and smirked. "Yeah. How about you pay the man a visit? After all, I gave him the day off because he just called off his engagement."

What?! He seemed so destined to marry Heather. What happened? How did it get so bad?! Oh no, was this really all my fault and she realized what I had felt too for him from the last time we spoke?

All those questions and more just wouldn't shake away.

So gratefully complying with her request, knowing I fully wanted to do so anyway after hearing something so outlandish as that...I raced back out of the bar.

He needed to know someone truly did love him.

He needed to know somehow it was always me.

🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

Running through the streets of Levi's neighborhood as the crisp evening hour fast approached, the sunset was going down. It looked so beautiful, I could cry.