TWENTY SEVEN

Ivy Hart

Ivy Hart.

There were many things to say about her the more I came to know.

But to put it simply...she was an extraordinary woman I'd never want to let go of—no matter who I was with or who she was. In fact, it was the realization I needed to know after paying a visit to her house, became enough to make me know now for sure one truly important thing.

I wanted to fall in love with her.

I know. It was sorta crazy, appalling, and delusional of me to think such things.

Now I didn't know if we'd ever work out in the long run, but something about the way she held onto me yesterday and cried her sorrows into my arms, I didn't want to go once she had to sneak me out through the back again. 

I needed to have a woman like her in my life for good.

Not as just my music partner. Not as just my friend. But with me. I could feel it in my heart that she would complete me for the rest of my life.

Sure, I was comfortable with Heather. I could admit she was rather attractive still. But months ago—years ago even...I wasn't that same guy anymore now.

We were drifting apart. I could never figure out why, but we were. We were two different people that wanted much different things in life. So different, spending my life with her wouldn't make me feel like I was on top of the world. Just part of it.

But a marriage should be more than that.

When a man knows he's head over heels in love with the woman of his dreams, he thinks about her day and night. And even though sure, I thought about Heather often—it was like she was a stranger to me whenever I was with Ivy.

It made me feel so despicable to compare the two...but it was honestly all I could say.

As much as I tried to deny it, I couldn't.

I wouldn't want to keep stringing someone so kind and goodhearted along. That would just make me an even bigger jerk than I already felt I was being.

But I knew with all the planning and things we were finally wrapping up after years of being engaged, I didn't want to just end things with her and that's it. There was still love for her in me that I didn't want to just disregard as if I never did. I at least wanted to explain to her how I was feeling, and try to approach the matter in a very sensitive way.

I couldn't live with myself if I shattered someone's heart. I'd hate it if she did the same for me.

Heading to her apartment complex, I was approaching her door—dripping with panic and nerves eating away within. Maybe she would kill me for doing this so late. But maybe she would be understanding.

All I knew though, was that it had to be done right.

Finally at the door landing, I knocked three times and waited patiently while mentally preparing myself for the worse. But my fears just had to be faced head on, the moment the door opened.