27. it's christmas and jeongin is crying / a tearful holiday with a warm heart

DECEMBER 23

   The days went a little faster after the incident with Jisung, as Minho tried to keep himself sane, not thinking too much about anything; working more, sleeping more, too. It turned out that trying desperately to keep his mind focused on anything but the thought of what happened had a way of zapping his energy. Maybe that was the reason why he found it easier to fall asleep at the end of the days that came after that incident.

   It'd be so nice if he could just have his mind clear of humiliating memories for once.

    He made sure to try extra hard to keep his mind occupied and away from dangerous memories as he worked. Because he couldn't afford to lose it in public. That might be the last straw on the haystack of his tolerance for humiliating situations.

    Fortunately, a different sort of thought was currently taking up his mind.

   While jazzy versions of Christmas songs played quietly as Minho served hot chocolate in the diner, he realized that Christmas was much closer than he thought. And it didn't excite him like it used to— actually it didn't excite him at all. Must have been another nasty side effect of growing up... or having his mind caught up in buzzing incessantly and running in unpleasant loops.

oh well.

    On his break, he checked his vibrating phone. The notifications from Jisung's messages, that he'd swiped away from his home screen the moment he saw them, were amongst the pileup of  red, numbered bubbles and blue dots demanding attention inside his phone.

    He was avoiding Jisung again.

    ...As in, he ignored the multiple texts that the boy sent him, asking how he was doing.

    But this time, he wasn't upset with Jisung. He was just afraid.

    For that reason, he continued to pretend that those texts didn't exist, and instead, he opened the group chat that had been all quiet since the first week of college until now.

...

HIGH SCHOOL IDIOTS🤧

HYUNJIN

guys

SEUNGMIN

woah it's been forever since we've used this chat

CHAN

yeah, why'd you message here, hyun?

HYUNJIN

because i don't want jeongin to see

SEUNGMIN

 ARE YOU TRYING TO GOSSIP ABOUT THE BABY?

HYUNJIN

i-

HYUNJIN

no

HYUNJIN

 i feel like we should get him a suitcase for christmas

CHANGBIN

 that's the most boring christmas present ever

HYUNJIN

okay but seriously he has no suitcase

HYUNJIN

have you seen his poor backpack? i think he stuffed everything he owns into it and hoped it wouldn't explode