Chapter 28

Olivia Yamkela Jakkals 

She approaches me and gives me a warm hug.

Kgomotso: I missed you so much.

Yammy: I missed you too.

She then walks me to the passenger side of her car and we're off.

The car is silent while she drives with quite a content expression on her face.

I position myself comfortably inside the car and clear my throat.

Yammy: Uhm Momo?

Kgomotso: Yeah?

I give her an awkward smile.

Yammy: Guess what?

Kgomotso: You're pregnant, I knew a long time ago.

Yammy : What?

I slap her playfully on the arm.

Yammy: Why didn't you say anything?

Kgomotso: I didn't think it was my place to do so and figured you'd tell me whenever you felt comfortable doing so.

~~~~~~~~~

We reach the homeless institution for kids from the streets, thrown away at birth, kids who run away from trauma and so forth, we walk inside. All the security guards greet her, clearly familiar with her.

We go into a playground and find all the children eating.
My heart immediately flutters with I don't know if its joy or sadness but I push that to the back of my mind.

We go towards the kids and some of them greet us while some are too shy to do so. We spend most of the day playing with them and reading them story books.
Later on i surprise the children with more soccer balls, dolls and a bunch of toys of which they happily start playing with. I also bought a supply of sanitary pads for the girls but it seems as though these children have everything they need.

While Momo reads them a story I feel a chill go up my spine. Something isn't right man, I go to a little a girl I'd say about 16 years or so sitting alone in a corner. She looks rather disheveled.
I sit next to her.

Yammy: Hey, my names Yammy, what's yours?

She stays quiet.

Yammy: If something is bothering you, you can just touch my hand and I'll stay here with you if it offers any comfort to you, you don't have to tell me what's..

Kgomotso: Yammy!

Yammy: I'm right here!

Kgomotso: What are you doing here?

Yammy: Nothing I was just chilling with her, do you know her name?

Kgomotso: Who's name?

Yammy: This girl...oh, I think she left, I guess she just wanted to be by herself.

Kgomotso: Okay, but it's time to go and before you protest, we'll come back soon.