Panic In The Parking Lot

"Did you leave anything behind?"

"No," he answered, swiftly maneuvering through the crowds. "There was nothing that they could use to find me."

"They weren't supposed to know of your existence," the man hissed in his ear. "You know that, right?"

"Of course," he told him, keeping his gaze straight ahead. The earpiece he used was almost invisible to the naked eye, and the people were much too busy to care about what he was talking about. For all they knew, he was merely a sick man talking nonsense to himself. And everyone avoided a sick man on the streets.

That was what he loved the most about the city. People were so blissfully unaware of all the dangers around them, especially here. It was wonderfully pathetic.

"And here I thought you were my best," his boss chastised. "Don't expect me to get you out if you let those idiots catch you."

"They won't," he assured, almost laughing at the thought. Now that would be an interesting interaction. "If anything, I think this will benefit us rather than otherwise."

"And what makes you think that?"

"Well," he turned the corner just to see the place he was looking for. "She might trust him more than we were hoping, but love can be quite destracting."

The building had dark windows that didn't allow others to look in. It was common for police offices, used for the exact purpose of keeping him on his toes when it came to his job. But he knew that they were in there. The truck that he had seen them in last was in the parking lot, matching it down to the last scrape on the bumper. Trucks weren't being used right if they didn't have some scratches in the paint, especially if you were using it to go in the forest.

They were probably going to be making many trips to that forest. After all, the alpha had to show off his new mate to everyone. His family was probably going to be so happy for him. They might even give him his leadership back.

"We need her if we're going to pull this off," the boss told him. "If she's really what you say, then she's going to be vital."

"Do you have a time limit on it yet?"

"It's still being prepared," he could hear the frown without even being in the same room. "I suppose this will at least give us some time. Just don't get yourself caught."

"I'm already one step ahead of you."

The silence afterwards signaled the end of the call. The boss never said goodbye, and the earpiece never had a dial tone or any indication that he was calling in or had disconnected. It designed that way, so that he would always answer the call and to keep him on his toes. It wasn't like he really needed to be watched or babysat. He was the best that they had, after all.

He sat on a bench just a little away from the building that he was watching. They would come out sooner or later. He might have gotten seen from the detective that time, but he knew how to avoid his attention. Werewolves were easy to hide from.

Pulling out a small tablet, he began to search for something. That plan of his boss' might be good, but it couldn't hurt to try and quicken the process. And he hadn't told him to try anything of his own accord, just that he couldn't get caught.

And that was something he just didn't do.

***

Everything always changed when someone important in your life was taken from you. It always seemed like as soon as a loved one left this planet, there was so many differences that you had to get adjusted to. Sometimes it just seemed like once some bad happened, it caused a domino effect of others to happen.