Thoughts

Life had always been full of stress and fighting. It was forever a struggle to push through the obstacles that shot towards him like bullets from a sniper. His adolescent innocence was stripped from him at an early age. It was that same time that he had to prove himself a man and protect his family.

Even moving to the city didn't calm the storm that he faced his whole life. He had been able to sleep a little more, but he didn't have the lifestyle that most in their twenties had. His mind had been in constant movement, forever working towards the next goal, even if he didn't know what that goal was yet. He had been constantly learning and challenging himself to try and feed a hunger that he could never satiate. All this while still going through more difficulties that his life always had. Whether it be work or family, it never ended. The eye of the storm was calm, but didn't last long.

Jim had known that there had been stress in his life. But he didn't realize just how long he had been living like this. How long he had been in constant motion, waiting on the day that he could finally relax. He didn't realize that he had felt this insane urge to constantly keep on moving, even when he needed to rest. Not until right then.

That was why he lay wide awake, staring at the ceiling in the pitch black, as the night slowly came to an end. Jim hadn't realized any of this until he felt it all lift off from him. It was as if the weight of the world was lifted from his shoulders in an instant. He could fill his lungs with fresh air without feeling his muscles tense and his senses heighten to make sure that the area was safe. He didn't feel anything other than calm, as his sluggish mind realized just how much energy he had used up his whole life.

How did it feel as if he had no energy, and all the energy in the world all at once? Just being able to lie in that bed with her next to him made him feel invincible. Like he could conquer the world.

"I wish we would have found her earlier," Skaal's voice came to his mind. He had been calm as well, which wasn't normal for him at all. "I didn't think we could hold on much longer."

"Is this...supposed to feel this way?" He honestly didn't know. Was this how people normally felt? Or was he still riding the high of finding the one person that he was going to spend his forever with?

"Pretty sure," Skaal answered. "This is how we felt before mom and dad died. Well, not the lovey dovey stuff, but...we didn't have all that pressure on us back then. And now that we've finally found our mate and marked her it means that we can finally be happy...Right?"

"I think so," He looked down to the woman that laid on his chest. She looked so much calmer than earlier that morning. It had been a roller coaster of a day. Jim was happy just to be able to hold her close. Her feeling protected and safe was all he needed to enjoy her company.

Of course, he knew where things were going when she asked to sleep in his bedroom. Jim wasn't an idiot. He just wasn't going to immediately think that anything was going to happen between them and jump into bed. Besides, it was interesting playing dumb a little, just to see how far she really wanted to go. He needed to know that she was okay with going as far as they did.

Out of years of relationships and one-night stands, she was the best that he had. It shouldn't come as a surprise, but it was. At his age, there weren't a lot of firsts that he experienced anymore. That all happened in the past, when he had been forced to rush through life. Yet she was the first that could satiate his hunger and calm him down.

"Should I ask Sbari?"

"I don't know if we should tell him."

"He's not going to be anything other than excited for us, Jim," the wolf seemed annoyed that he had even brought that up again. "It's the rest of the pack that are going to start the drama."