Take a Seat, Pete

"Is this another 'If we stare at it long enough it'll give us an answer' moment?" Felix asked, leaning down to look over his shoulder.

"No," Snake rolled his eyes. "This is a 'we're almost about to get access to the files and get our answer' moment."

"That sounds just like what I said, only fancier."

"It is a little more detailed, isn't it?" While Felix was growing on him, the guppy was still extremely annoying when he wanted to be. Jim liked to say that he acted like a little brother. Snake wouldn't have known. He had always been an only child.

Granted his parents passed away when he was young, but that was beside the point.

"We're detectives, not poets," Felix complained.

"We're also not whiners," Snake told him. "Or are you just hangry or something?"

"Hangry?"

"Angry because you're hungry," he explained. "I'm surprised you haven't learned that one already. It's pretty popular nowadays."

"You know, you always show your age in one way or the other," Felix shook his head.

"Ha!" Snake laughed. "Felix, if I was showing my age I wouldn't even be talking in English." He wasn't too fond of learning languages, if he was honest with himself. The only times he had were when it was necessary, and he had forgotten most of the ones he had learned in the past. Back then, he only learned how to speak them. That's all he needed it for at the time. English was one of the few languages he had learned to read and write. It was simple enough when you had enough time to go through it all.

English was a mixing pot in its own right. Snake saw so many similarities to older languages mixed in with the spellings and sentence structure of this one. It was as if it would always have just a tiny sprinkle of the past. Just enough to season it and make all the kids wonder why the hell it was spelt so weird.

"That's not what I meant," Felix frowned. "But now that we're on that topic, what language would you be speaking?"

"Don't worry about that," Snake waved a hand at him, looking at the computer screen that had finally started moving. They had been waiting for days to get access to this file. There was something that had been locked away in Jim's past that took them going through the Sheriff to get to. The mystery involving his father that had been closed many years ago.

In the blink of an eye the words appeared. It filled the screen with small text, Snake's eyes ready to consume it all. Lab reports; missing persons; a brutal murder. There was a lot that shined on the screen, even some old pictures.

"Interesting," Snake mumbled to himself. This file had been kept hidden and locked with good reason. It was packed with knowledge of werewolf packs, along with the hunters responsible for the murder of Blacktooth's Luna at the time. Snake would be worried if it wasn't locked with how detailed it was. They were probably trying to keep it from the hunting community that had access to the supernatural database.

"It's so in depth," Felix looked at it in amazement. Snake made sure to scroll slower so that he could read it as well. "Whoever had been assigned to this case really knew who they were after."

"Jim was in this case," Snake told him. He recognized the way the most recent reports were written anywhere. Jim wrote very simple and plain, almost void of any and all emotion. It was perfect for their line of work. And it was difficult to do when you were making a report as grand as this one. "Jim and the Sheriff," he pointed towards a part of the text. "If this means anything."

"The Sheriff would really let Jim work a case that involved his own parents?" Felix sounded skeptical. "Isn't that a conflict of interest or something?"