Chapter 94: Cost

The angry spirits turned into white light and flew out of the Soul-Storing Formation to cross over. Kong Hou barely managed to stay sitting by leaning on Phoenix Head. She could not hear any sound, her sight so blurry she could only see shadows. Every part of her body hurt. If she closed her eyes, she would fall asleep.

In a daze, she saw a gentle woman walk out from amidst the countless angry souls. She bowed to Kong Hou, saying something, but Kong Hou could not hear clearly. She opened her eyes, wanting to see the other’s mouth move. The woman smiled at her, turning into a stream of light, and disappeared.

After this woman, countless angry souls bowed to her—farmers, farmwives, refined scholars, elegant ladies. Kong Hou rubbed her eyes, and hated how blurry her vision was.

A child of three or four ran in front of her, his eyes not understanding what life and death was before he turned into a dead soul. Kong Hou coughed and swallowed the sweet blood in her mouth. She feared frightening the child.

The child opened her arms and Kong Hou bent down to pick her up to put on her knees. She had no energy to stand up, so she sat in the mud and saved some energy.

She heard the voice of this child. The child was laughing. Her large eyes had no terror or sorrow, just pure happiness.

Kong Hou watched as she disappeared in her arms, turning to light and flying away. She looked up at the raining sky. “I wish you will not know hardship in your next life, and have a peaceful lifetime.”

Her robes were ruined, and stained with mud. Kong Hou struggled up from the ground. Her head was ringing, her ears and nose itching. She wanted to rub her itching nose but found her hand was covered in blood so she gave up.

Someone seemed to be calling her name. Kong Hou, in pain all over, slowly turned back and saw Huan Zhong sprinting towards her, his handsome and flawless face full of terror. She frowned in confusion. What was going on with Huan Zhong? Hadn’t she already defeated the formation?

She wanted to speak, but when she opened her mouth, she only threw up blood. Her stomach seemed to be filled with blood that never ran out. She covered her mouth, her vision growing even more blurry. The entire world seemed to quiet.

“Kong Hou!” When someone was most terrified, they would forget many of their abilities and only maintain the instincts they were born with. Huan Zhong forgot he was a cultivator, forgot everything. He ran to Kong Hou’s side and caught her as she fainted.

Kong Hou’s nose, ears, and even eyes were shedding blood. Huan Zhong’s hands trembled as he held Kong Hou and channeled spirit energy into her body.

The rain drenched his hair, the dirty mud soaking his shoes. He, who was always untouched by dust, could not care about this. All of his attention was on the person in his arms.

“Wake up, Kong Hou, wake up.” Huan Zhong took out a bottle of vital energy pills. His hand shaking, he fed them to Kong Hou’s mouth. Half of the pills fell to the mud because of his shaking before they even reached Kong Hou’s mouth.

The vital energy pills were not things that dissolved when entering the mouth. Huan Zhong put the pills into his own mouth and bent down to feed them to Kong Hou.

“Amitabha.” Fatan, coming down from the clouds, saw this and paused. He turned and said to Lin Hu, “Master Lin, this old monk knows some basic medicine.”

The man holding the young girl in the rain did not cry or make noise, but people could feel his panic and sorrow. Fatan was a buddhist cultivator, one who did not understand romantic love. But he had seen many romantic loves and separations through death.