16. Helping Hand

A few days after your mission, you are informed that you have been moved up a rank and are now a Tsuchinoto. Around noon, Shinobu calls you into her office, and she begins to do a routine checkup on you.

"How was your mission with Tomioka? Was he silent as always?"

You extend your left arm out to her as she inspects your arm.

I don't want to say anything bad about him

'He was very quiet, but also kind to me.'

Shinobu looks up from her inspection and meets your eyes. You tilt your head in confusion at her.

"He actually spoke to you? That's a new development.."

'Does he not speak to anyone else on missions?'

Shinobu shakes her head and goes to inspect your other arm.

"Not really. He only speaks if he has to, and only eats when he thinks it's necessary. That's why he has no friends."

She laughs a little, and then rolls your sleeve back down. You turn away from her and begin to unbutton the first couple buttons on your uniform. You slide the over and under shirt off of your shoulders and the sleeves rest on your forearms, the back of the shirts rest half way down your back.

'.. I'm his friend...'

You hear her let out a shocked gasp from behind you.

'What happened?'

You feel a hand graze your lower back.

"How did you get this bruise y/n??"

Thats why my back hurts

'I don't know.. maybe when I went on my last mission I hurt my back? The demon did hit me pretty hard in the head.'

Shinobu grabs your shoulders and spins you around. Your eyes meet her shocked ones and she begins to speak quite loudly.

"Why didn't you come to me sooner??? You probably have a concussion y/n!!"

She gets up quickly and opens one of the medicine cabinets, searching quickly for what you assume is the most bitter medicine you will ever taste.

You rebutton the front of your undershirt as well as your uniform. Shinobu walks over to her desk with multiple containers and bottles and begins writing.

'Are those all for me?'

Shinobu doesn't look up, just continues writing. You wait for a few moments for a response and as you go to open your mouth again you hear footsteps rapidly approaching. The door to the room is slid open, and in your view is a clearly irritated Wind Hashira.

"Can I help you Shinazugawa? I'm currently treating another patient."

The feral man looks your way and scowls slightly. You avert your gaze, but as you look away you see his bloody arm.

"I need bandages."

Shinobu sighs and stops writing. She looks up at the white haired man and sighs. She opens a drawer on the cabinet next to her desk and takes out a role of gauze, medical tape, antibiotic ointment, and scissors.

"I'll bandage you in a moment, take a seat on the bed please."

The wind hashira plops down on the bed next to your chair and you flinch. You take a quick glance at his arm and see the painful wound.

That looks like it really hurt...

You look back at Shinobu who is counting the pills, placing them into a smaller container, and labeling them. She has a few other medications on the desk and it looks like it'll take a little ehile. You hesitate to speak, but open your mouth.