17. An Awkward Encounter

You blink your eyes a few times and glance in his direction. You can hear his breathe become uneven and his heart beat increases.

He must be super nervous

'There isn't anything for you to apologize about Giyuu? If anyone should be apologizing it's me.'

There is a brief pause before he responds. The silence is deafening.

"I thought you were angry with me after our last mission."

I mean... I kind of was

'I wasn't angry with you, just tired. Getting knocked out and locked in a cell was very draining as you can imagine.'

Giyuu nods his head a little bit as if agreeing with your statement.

'I'm sorry if you were upset with me. I just thought that you didn't want to even be on that assignment. You kept disappearing... but you're a higher rank and you were probably doing something more important than I- I'll stop talking now....'

You clutch the fabric of your haori in your hands and feel your face flush.

Why did I do that? I always over explain, and then I keep rambling and uughhh

Your face feels warm now, and you can't stop fidgeting with the fabric in your hands. You try to concentrate on anything else, but you are so embarrassed that you can't think about anything.

Please just say something, anything, this silence is so awkward

"I usually go on missions alone. I'm not used to working together with people."

You nod your head in understanding.

'Shinobu told me you usually don't talk to people and that's why you..'

You stop talking, not wanting to offend him. You hope that maybe he won't continue the conversation and just walk in silence.

"Why I what?"

You avoid looking at him and avert you eyes to the passing trees.

Dammit

'...She said that's why you have no friends..'

You cringe internally at how awkward you sound, and you feel bad for him.

"I have Urokodaki, and Kanzaburou."

Your face goes blank.

'Kanzaburou is your crow.'

"He's a dear friend of mine."

You sigh and shake your head a little before chuckling to yourself.

'You forgot about me, I'm your friend too. Unless you didn't want to be friends anymore Tomioka.'

Giyuu stopped walking and his heart stopped for a moment. You stopped a couple steps after him and looked back at him, meeting his eyes.

He looks so sad..

'I want to be your friend Giyuu, and I hope you want to be mine too!'

You give him a closed eyes smile and turn to continue walking again. Giyuu catches up to you and continues to walk by your side.

'I think you're really cool and once we connect a little more I know we'll be best friends.'

You look at him from the corner of your eye and you see a very light pink dust his cheeks.

Oops, I forgot he's not used to compliments

You smile lightly as you continue your walk with him. It's quite a pleasant journey back to Mitsuri's home, but you develop a headache about half way there, and it keeps getting worse.