House inhabitants

London, England
Year 1535
My new acquaintance took me to the house at the end of the street and opened a heavy door made of dark wood in front of me in a gentlemanly way. Then the idea of following a stranger to his house didn't seem so good to me anymore. I paused for a second in the doorway, examining the half-timbered building in front of me, which stood close to the rest of the same houses. "If this whole building is his, then he must have a family."- I reassured myself, going inside. I calmed down even more when, as soon as the front door slammed shut, a red-haired young man shouted at the whole house: "Come down here, everyone, we have guests."
However, then I pressed myself even more into the wall near which I was standing. There were two tall men in front of me.
One, with brown curly bangs descending over emerald eyes, came down the stairs. He looked about the same age as me, about 25-26 years old, if not younger. He was also tall, but slightly thinner than the man who brought me into the house. He was wearing black leather boots, dark fabric trousers, a velvet caftan of the same color and a shirt peeking out of it with intricate patterns on the cuffs.
"This is William Taylor, my friend and sworn brother."- My new acquaintance introduced him, addressing me.
Then I turned my eyes to the man who came out of one of the lower rooms. He looked a little more serious and intimidating than the first one. Folding his arms on his chest with an abundance of rings on them, a handsome adult man of 35-40 years old looked at me. He was also wearing a black leather caftan, black trousers and leather boots of the same color. His hair was cut short, and there was one gold earring in his ear. He looked at me in disbelief with his gray eyes.
"And this is Edward Sorley. Also named brother, only the eldest.The man introduced us, and Edward nodded slightly, still not taking his eyes off me.
"Yes, that's right, my name is James O'Miles."- The big guy smiled at me.
I just stood there in utter horror. I was brought to a house full of men, it is still unclear in what, but a very long time ago. I remembered the lessons of history that medieval knights were not princes on white horses, but rapists and bandits. Everything in those days was tied to violence, and I really didn't want to become a confirmation of that. I pressed myself almost closely against the wall, looking at my new acquaintances with eyes full of fear, simultaneously considering whether I could open this heavy door before they grabbed me and dragged me deeper into the house. And how will I fight off three adult men, the height of the most puny of which is clearly not less than one meter eighty.
- You didn't even have time to introduce yourself to the lady, and already brought her to our house, Jamie?- William's sarcastic tone, who was still looking at me from under his brows, knocked me out of my thoughts.
- And didn't introduce her to us, in general.- Edward remarked without sarcasm.
- Oh, and you didn't have time to ask her name.- William laughed when James, who had brought me here, looked at me questioningly.
- My name is Emma...Woodshires.- I said it as quietly as I could. I was completely horrified by what was happening and, it seems, it was read in my every gesture.
- You attacked her, Taylor, can't you see that she needs help?! - James replied rudely to his, as I understood, brother.
- We are not the orphan's house, O'Miles.- The curly brown-haired man narrowed his eyes.- Why are we going to drag all the dirty peasants into the house?!
- Indeed, William.- Edward said sternly in a fatherly way.- Young lady, may I ask what happened to you?- He turned to me and all 3 pairs of eyes were directed at me again.
I could only imagine what I looked like now: a disheveled braid, traces of blood and mascara on my cheeks, a shirt stained with dirt and drops of blood, and huge frightened eyes that had become almost completely red from the stress and tears. I didn't know what to say or how to say it. Yes, I was wary of the residents of this house, but I was also afraid that they would kick me out into the street, and I had nowhere to go. I couldn't lie, I wouldn't have come up with anything worthwhile and fell down immediately because of fear.
- I'll tell you, but I'm asking you not to burn me at the stake and all that.- I said, startled.
- Oh, that's interesting. - Edward chuckled, folding his arms over his chest again.
- We are not being friends with the Inquisition, Miss Woodshires. - Edward replied softly, still looking at me with a cold gaze.
Then I didn't notice how I gave them everything, starting from my morning, ending with an attempted rape and a headbutt. The tears started coming in a new stream and I think I even started screaming. In the end, out of emotion, I threw off this fucking shirt, showing everyone the stains of dirt and blood on it. When I finished my story, I looked at the three men opposite me. In their eyes, I didn't see a drop of surprise at my story. It confused me.
- What did this book look like?- Only one question came out of Edward's mouth.
- Written in Latin, purple leather cover with gold letters.- I replied, wiping the tears from my face.
- What are these... symbols?- Witchy? William asked, examining my hands.
- It's just tattoos, there's nothing magical about them. I shook my head.- Just body drawings that anyone can make.
- What... what is it?- I looked at myself when I realized that all three men were clearly staring at me.
I was still wearing a white top and blue jeans.
- Nothing,- James already answered me, throwing his cloak over my shoulders, - it's probably cold.
- Yes, thank you.- I nodded weakly, trying harder to cover myself with a cape, remembering where I was.
- And... what year is it now? - I asked warily, afraid to hear the answer.
- It's 1535.- James replied calmly, still standing behind me.
- Shut Up! .- I covered my mouth with my hand and tried to quickly calm the new flow of tears.
Now everything started to seem even more real. 16th century, my God...
- Miss Woodshires,- Edward said, taking a couple of steps to meet me, holding his hands behind his back, - we sympathize with your situation. You can stay in the house only if you don't cause us any problems, we still have a lot to do in this city.- He said sternly, carefully looking straight into my eyes from top to bottom.
- Y... yes, of course! I nodded my head quickly.- Thanks, I won't deliver!
- And dress appropriately, please. There should be some of our sister's clothes left upstairs.- He said softly in my ear, to which I only nodded weakly once more.
- James, help the lady, okay?- Edward very restrained and calmly addressed his brother, moving away from me at a decent distance.
- Yes, I'll take care of everything, come on.- The red-haired young man smiled at me, and again slightly pushed me by the shoulders, leading me to the stairs.
The house itself was small. All the walls in it were finished exactly the same as the outside. The floors on the ground floor were stone. Also on the lower floor I saw a small dining room with a fireplace and Gothic-style furniture, and a small living room with a sofa and a bookshelf. A wooden staircase led us to a corridor on the second floor. Here the floor was already wooden. James opened a wooden door in front of me and we went into a small room where there was a four-poster bed in the Gothic style, a large chest, a screen, an old muddy mirror by the chest of drawers and a small chair. There was very little light in the room, the small windows could not cope with the illumination of the whole house.
James lit a few candles with a flick of his hand and, opening the chest of drawers by the bed, began to examine all its contents.
- Marisol took all the decent outfits with her, I think. I left only the simplest dresses.- The man said into the air, taking out a blue corset sundress and a clean nightgown from the chest of drawers.
- That's even better, thanks.- I slightly blamed.
- Okay, then I'll leave you here... - James answered me a little awkwardly. It was even strange how such a formidable-looking man could hang around me like that.
- Actually, I would ask someone for help. I exhaled noisily, examining the dress lying on the bed. - I have no idea how to tie this corset.
- Oh, unfortunately, our maid won't be here for a couple of days. - The man shook his head.
- Well, can you help me with that? - I asked hopefully, looking into the red-haired man's blue eyes.
- Yes, yes, of course. He nodded his head quickly, clearly not expecting such a question.
- Ladies don't behave like that at this time, I know, but I really can't cope on my own.- I tried to correct the increased awkwardness.
- It's okay, I understand.- O'Miles smiled politely. - You just need to put on a chemise, then a corset and a dress on top.
- Actually, I'd rather not wear a corset. They are very harmful and greatly harm internal organs.- I turned the underwear item in my hand with skepticism.
- As you wish. James spread his hands and put a screen in front of me.- If you need help, I'm here.
I just nodded and pulled off my jeans with a confident movement, finding myself only in a top and white women's boxers. Looking at myself in the mirror, I accidentally caught the look of a red-haired man. He could also see my reflection... when our eyes met, he hurriedly turned away, making me laugh... like a little child!
- I'm sorry.- He quickly began to justify himself.
- It's all right, James.- I put on a chemise.- I wouldn't be able to resist myself if I were you. Moreover, my underwear is different from what you are used to.
- I need help.- I came out from behind the screen, handing him the dress.
In response, he only nodded understandingly and helped me put it on. Then, with a slight movement of his hand, James turned me around to the mirror, starting to lace up the clasp from behind.
I couldn't take my eyes off his reflection as he concentrated on buttoning the dress on me. How his hair fell over the blue of his eyes. He was handsome, I'm not arguing. I've always liked this type of man, big, dangerous-looking, but kind and decent. That's how he seemed to me. Then he seemed to feel his gaze on himself and, looking at me through a cloudy reflection, smiled slightly. This time I lowered my eyes. What's the matter with me?!
Then he brought me a copper basin with warm water and a clean cloth so that I could wash the remnants of this day from my cheeks. After that, I combed my blond hair with the comb I found and tied it into a high, slightly careless bun with rubber, the presence of which in my last hairstyle I was incredibly glad.
- James, can I ask you one more thing?- I asked with a little awkwardness, raising my green eyes to the man.
- Of course, - he smiled slightly, showing a dimple on his cheek, which I could see even through his red beard, - what is it?
- I'm so hungry ... - I exhaled noisily, even whimpering a little, and leaned back in my chair.
In response, the man just burst into a very beautiful velvet laugh. That was a good sign.
- Of course, Emma.- He winked.-I'll see what I can do about it.