Family gathering

Now James and I were driving along a highway somewhere near London. It was raining outside the window, and typical country landscapes were visible: endless fields and rare exits to villages.
- How are you? - The vampire asked, switching radio stations.
- Fine. - I exhaled and nodded slightly, catching his gaze on me in the rearview mirror. - This, of course, is not an ordinary acquaintance with the family, but I hope not to mess anything up.
- You won't mess up anything. - Jamie reassured me. - And even if so, most of the family already knows you and is on your side. And Collen isn't as scary as you might think.
- We'll see. - I nodded again. - Oh, leave this one. - I added when I heard The Cure on the radio.
About an hour later we drove up to a huge fence, which automatically opened in front of our car. We drove for a long time along a long flat road through a small grove. Finally, I got a view of a huge Gothic castle made of stone. The fog settled around him, as if for evil, so that he looked exactly like the dwelling of Count Dracula from a Victorian novel.
At the entrance with a huge wooden door, a girl was already waiting for us, dressed in a strict black knee-length dress, a white cap and a small apron of the same color. Well, it's like a Victorian novel, also with servants. Although, to be honest, the fact that there were employees in the house made it even calmer.
- Good afternoon, Mr. Hart, Miss Woodshires. - The girl smiled. - I'll take you to your room upstairs, your bags will be delivered after.
- Thanks. - James smiled politely and nodded his head. - And where is the main Mr. Hart?
- He left on a visit and will arrive for dinner. - The housekeeper replied.
- I see. Well, let's go. - The vampire winked at me and, taking my hand, led me inside the castle.
Once inside, I felt like I was back in the 16th century. The interior was a mixture of Gothic medieval style with modern elements, such as spotlights on old stone walls, modern chandeliers on high ceilings and all kinds of portraits of people from different eras. We climbed a massive mahogany staircase and, after walking along a long corridor, found ourselves in a small room.
Inside there was a large Gothic four-poster bed, several armchairs with velvet upholstery, a chest of drawers and a mahogany table, and in the very center there was a large fireplace, which had been previously lit especially for us.
- Oh, wow. - I said, opening a small door near the bed. - There's even a toilet, a shower, well, a dream.
- Huh, what did you think it was? - James said, immediately falling on the bed.
- Well, to be honest, I thought there was a room like bluebeard. You know, with a pool of blood and the bodies of murdered wives.
- No,-  the man laughed,- it's not here, in the east wing, in Collen's room.
- You know, in this atmosphere, I can believe you. - I smiled and walked over to the bed.
- Well, you're definitely not going to die now. - Jamie continued, and then, stretching his arm forward, he pulled me down on top of him.
- Oh, so after sex I might. - I laughed.
- Probably. - He thought about it. - Yes, after that you might. And where did you think the blood came from at our dinner table?
- Ok, shut up already! - I rolled my eyes.
In response, the vampire only covered my lips with his, running his left hand down my back, laying it on my hips. With his other hand, he held me firmly in the area of the shoulder blades. I put my hands in his hair and returned the kiss.
- Oh. - A familiar voice was heard at the door.
This caused us to break away from each other and turn to the source of the sound.
- I really thought there were rabbits here. - William shrugged.
- I see, - I exhaled with irritation and got out of bed, - so no sex in the castle...
- And why did you decide to do this at all, everyone has already arrived, the party is in an hour? - The guy spread his hands. - Although, if you have time to get ready and have sex in an hour, then I'm sorry for you...
- William, get out. - I said through my teeth and threw a pillow at him.
- You're right, Taylor, there's only an hour left. - Jamie also got out of bed. - So we'll see you in an hour, it's time for you to get ready too, bye. - He almost led the annoying vampire out of the room by the scruff of the neck, slamming the door behind him.
- Such a leech. - I said it out loud. - In every sense of the word. It suits him too well. But he's right, I need to look too good in front of all these vampires.
- That's right. But I hope you won't be mad if I ask you to wear this. - The vampire took a small box out of one of the bags and handed it to me.
- Oh, my God, Jamie. - I almost cried. - You saved them. I was so sorry I didn't take them with me.
I looked at a pair of earrings in my hand. They were the same he gave me before the ball back in the 16th century. Gold, with an oval scarlet ruby and a scattering of small pearls around.
- It's nothing, - the man smiled, - but I watched them and could remember you and that night. And I'm really glad you can wear them again.
As a result, I put on that black dress that I bought on Oxford Street, and those black pumps from the same place. She gathered her wheat curls into a low bun to give everyone an overview of the earrings Jamie had given her, and supplemented them with a pearl thread around her neck and several gold rings, hoping that no one would understand that this was just jewelry from Forever21.
James, like a true cool rocker, remained in his blue jeans, under which he put on a brown belt that perfectly matched the color of the leather brogues on his legs. A blue shirt and a dark blue jacket completed his look.
- Well, 6 o'clock. - He adjusted the watches on his wrist. - Are you ready?
- It seems. - I said uncertainly, coming out of the bathroom.
- Wow. - The vampire smiled, putting his hand on his heart. - Of course you're ready! You look beautiful.
He came up to me, kissed me lightly on the lips and, wrapping his arm around my waist, pushed me slightly towards the exit into the corridor.
- Everything will be fine, don't worry, I'm here with you. - His blue eyes looked clearly into mine, giving me confidence.
We went down the same weighty wooden staircase and walked along the huge hall, all the high stone walls of which were decorated with old Paintings, like in some Hogwarts. My nervous footsteps echoed through the castle like the quick click of heels on wooden parquet.
Finally we found ourselves in a large living room. All its walls were decorated with paintings and animal heads, which made me feel sick. Persian carpets lay on the wooden parquet, and a huge fireplace was lit in the center. There were guests sitting on several red velvet sofas, some of whom I didn't recognize. They laughed and chatted with each other, drinking red liquid from glasses. I knew what was there, but I didn't want to think about it....
- Glad to see you again, hello! - Rose exclaimed joyfully and hugged me, very unexpectedly.
She was wearing a eucalyptus-colored dress with voluminous short lantern sleeves and an ankle-length sun skirt from ZIMMERANN, which we bought together.
- It's true. - Debbie nodded, handing me a glass. - Here, this wine from the family vineyards, will help to overcome the fear a little. - She winked at me.
The witch was wearing a beige midi dress with a white contrasting collar and beads instead of buttons.
- Nice seeing you again. - I heard a French accent behind me.
Turning around, I saw Lucille looking great, dressed in a lavender long silk dress that perfectly flowed over her body like a sea wave. Her brown hair was neatly gathered into a beautiful high bun, giving everyone a view of the incredible beauty of pearl earrings. She looked like the French version of Kate Winslet, truly royal.
- I agree. - I shook my head, clutching James's arm.
- My dearest friends, I'm glad to see everyone! - A loud commanding baritone voice was heard from the corner of the room.
A short man with dark stubble on his face and head was standing in the doorway. He was dressed in a strict black three-piece suit with monogram patterns on glossy fabric. His black eyes scanned everyone present from under his wide dark eyebrows, and then he walked into the room like a master.
- I'm glad to see everyone I've seen before again. - He smiled a little. - And I'm glad to see those I haven't met yet. - With these words, he turned his gaze to me, causing a herd of goosebumps to run over my skin.
There was nothing like that in him, but the same vibe emanated from him as from the aforementioned tale of bluebeard. He was calm and polite, but at the same time cold-blooded and it was clear that he was not to be trifled with.
- And those who are late are also glad to see, but a little less. - He grinned, turning his back on us.
Marisol appeared in the doorway, dressed in an emerald-colored sheath dress with long sleeves and a beautiful heart-shaped neckline. Her small jet-black curls were loose, and on her plump lips there was a blood-colored lipstick, which looked advantageous against the background of her deathly pale skin.
The girl just looked at him, smiled slightly and in a second was among the other guests, having already taken a glass of blood from somewhere.
- Well, since everyone is definitely here now.  - Collen clapped his hands. - Then I ask everyone to the table!
With these words, the workers of the house opened a large wooden door leading to a large dining room. Going inside, I saw a huge room with a long polished mahogany table and massive chairs upholstered in red velvet. The table was already bursting with all kinds of snacks, and in front of each plate, as at weddings, there was a small sign with the name of the guest to whom this place was intended.
I got a very strange place. I was sitting at the opposite end of the table from Collen. James was seated on my left, and Rose was seated on my right. At the same time, I perfectly saw the other guests, and the other guests perfectly saw me. And, most importantly, although Collen was sitting quite far away from me, he was right across from me, so sometimes I caught his eyes on me, which made me feel sick.
However, during the evening, no one really talked to me, thank God. Although no one in general talked much, only if the conversation was started by the eldest of the vampires, the owner of the house. It was a little tense, although I was calmer from the fact that the rest of those present did not really notice me.
After dinner, Rosa invited us to the garden, which was rather neglected, but that made it even more beautiful. The five of us were sitting around the kindled hearth on comfortable wooden chairs, wrapped in blankets. We drank wine, smoked and chatted: Me, James, Rozza, Debbie and William.
- How do you like this Downton Abbey? - Rose asked, taking a sip of wine. - Oh, William, give me a cigarette.
- I didn't know you smoked. - Debbie said in surprise.
- Well, not always, sometimes you can. - The girl answered her with a shrug. - I know it's harmful, so what, like I'm going to die from it?! - This remark caused everyone present to chuckle a little.
- That's also true. - The witch shook her head. - So, yes, how do you like the house? - She turned to me.
- Cool. - I blew smoke into the air. - Only I feel awkward around the maids.
- You'll get used to it. - William chuckled, taking a drag on his cigarette.
- Oh, Taylor, I hope you're not biting the servants here. - I rolled my eyes and looked at him.
- Not yet. - He winked.
- I'm sure he's joking, Emma. - James put his hand on my knee. - You're kidding, right, Taylor?
- Yes, I'm kidding, you fool. - William rolled his eyes in response. - You could get used to it already. But if a woman's scream of horror resounds through the castle today, it's not me, but Marisol. And I would not recommend you, and especially you, Emma, - he pointed his finger at me, - as a lover to go down where it is not necessary in the middle of the night, run to the scream and stop her.
- Oh, Marisol. - I leaned back in my chair and took a sip of wine from my glass.
- I'm sorry, but I have to say this. - Rose began. - I saw her for the first time, probably in a hundred years, and I can say with confidence that people like her do not change. I mean, people like her are addicted to drama, if I may say so. When life is calm, nothing happens, she has too much time to look inside herself and dig into her personal issues. Trust me, she has so many...Therefore, she always needs to invent new enemies and a reason for revenge. - She took an angry drag on her cigarette, also leaning back in her chair.
In general, I really felt from us that evening the mood of those youngest family members who stick together at family gatherings and discuss the rest. And I fucking loved it.