Take-out coffee

It was Monday, and even though vampires can afford not to work, I can't, so despite Jamie's persuasions to stay with him, he still had to take me home so that I could make it to Monday's meeting at Zoom.
However, in the middle of my working day, I was distracted from the computer by an insistent knock on the door. Expecting to see Jamie, who had already missed me, I ran to the front door with a smile on my face, but when I opened it, I saw William on the threshold. I can't say it was a less pleasant surprise....
- Oh wow, hello. - I looked at him from under my brows, folding my hand on my side.
- Hi. - The vampire nodded. - I see that the consummation of the marriage has taken place after all.
- Oh, my God. - I rolled my eyes. - Can vampires feel that, too?
- No, it's just logical. - He shrugged and laughed.
- Okay, - I laughed in response, - well, I'm an adult modern woman and I'm not going to be shy about the fact of having a sexual life.
- So, why are you here? - I changed the subject.
- I wanted to take you for a walk. - Taylor replied, hesitating a little.
- You already invited me to smoke once, if you remember. - I narrowed my eyes.
- It was a long time ago... for me. - William waved it off. - Now I will not deny that I was interested in chatting with you over a cigarette. So I thought maybe you might, too.
- Wow, - I smiled sincerely, - I mean, it's unexpected, but if you promise not to kidnap me, then I'll be happy to chat with you.
- I promise. - The guy exhaled.
- Okay, come in for now, I'll change. - I moved away from the threshold, passing into the corridor.
- Ooh, you invite a vampire into the house. I couldn't have come in by myself, remember? - The dark-haired man said sarcastically, following me.
- Damn, right. - I shook my head. - Well, let's say I trust you.
- To everyone you trust, you give a knife in your hands. And with it, they can either protect you or stab you in the back. - William folded his arms across his chest.
- Okay, Mr. Shakespeare, - I looked at him accusingly and shook my head, - you decide what to do with the knife, and at least I'll put on my pants. - I said, going up the stairs.
I went into my small bedroom and, opening the chest of drawers, took out light banana jeans and a wine-colored sweater. Replacing them with my pajamas, I gathered my hair into a crab, slightly styled my eyebrows, applied a light fluid to my face and lip balm, and pulled my favorite soft UGG gray mules on my legs.
- I'm ready. - I announced, going back down to the living room.
- Less than 500 years have passed. - William got up from my olive chair, creaking. - Although, theoretically, it has passed.
- Funny. - I smiled slightly and, taking my phone and keys from the console, headed for the exit.
The guy, with the help of his vampire speed, was in front of me in an instant and opened the front door, letting me through. Well, almost a gentleman...
We took a coffee in one of my favorite coffee shops, I even insisted on paying for his flat white, and leisurely strolled through the square, which was already strewn with yellow autumn leaves.
- Can I ask you a question? - The vampire broke the silence.
- Of course. - I replied and looked at him with interest.
- How did you know I was gay? - His emerald eyes looked at me.
- What? - I was taken aback and choked on my cappuccino.
- Well, you once said... - He began.
- No, no, I remember. - I interrupted William. - I just didn't think it was really true.
- Really was. - He nodded. - But something made you think so. And don't say I'm just mannered, please.
- No, - I finally recovered from the shock, - but I can't explain how it feels. That's how you look like quite a typical fuckboy from Tinder, but, you know, I caught something in your jokes about sex, that you ate exclusively young and beautiful girls. I may be wrong, but I think it's something about having something that didn't bring you pleasure.
- Wow, yeah. - The vampire smiled. - You know, I convinced myself that the whole problem is that I'm a vampire, so I'm not attracted to victims, but damn, when I bit a young count in France, oh, I can't forget that.
- I don't even want to imagine. - I laughed. - Do the others know?
- They themselves guessed at some point. You know, they're not as conservative as they might seem.- He shrugged his shoulders.
- And now you're with someone, well, sleeping and biting all the time? - I hesitated. - Well, do you have a permanent sexual and blood-sharing partner?
- I get it. - He chuckled. - No, I'm just enjoying life and sleeping with different people...creatures.
- Oh, so you're in your vampire Taylor Swift RED era. - I shook my head approvingly.
- You could say that. - William agreed.
- But hey, I'm very pleased that you shared it with me. You know, I had a slightly different opinion of you. - I looked at him.
- Everything changes with time, Emma. - He lifted his head up, looking at the falling leaves. - Sometimes you just get tired of being an asshole and those negative emotions that you accumulated and suppressed with passive aggression consume you. So between the prospects of becoming hardened to the edge or starting to lead a more conscious life, it is better to choose the latter.
- Cool. - I smiled and looked up, too. - You're doing great.
- And I wanted to say, by the way. - William hesitated a little. - I'm sorry, you know, that I kidnapped you then.
- Oh, come on. - I waved it away. - You did it to help. The method wasn't really cool, of course, but it worked.
- It worked, true, but this does not negate the traumatic experience. I'm sorry I hurt you. - The vampire replied.
- Wow, are you going to vampire therapy? - I grinned at him.
- Actually, yes. - William said quite seriously. - There are psychologists among us too. I think we're the creatures with the biggest amount of garbage in the heads.
- Oh, so you're serious. - I tried to remove the smile from my face. - Well, em, I forgive you. Thank you for apologizing.
- You're welcome. - He shook his head.
- But, I admit, I even miss your impudent obscene comments a little. - I looked at him with a smile.
- Well, I can be a little sarcastic if it makes you feel better. - William winked.
- Yes, you know, this time in the 15th century was the scariest in my life, but to my surprise, I even feel nostalgic for it. I shrugged my shoulders.
- Oh, believe me, this time is much better. There is psychotherapy, flat white and there is no smell of slop on the street. - The vampire thought about it. - Well, at least not everywhere.
In the end, Taylor and I walked to Edward's townhouse. He said that was his plan to reintegrate me into their vampire community. Well, that's interesting.
- Emma, it's good to see you again. - Lucille's charming French accent sounded.
The vampire, dressed to the nines again, greeted me and invited me into the living room.
- Oh, good afternoon, Emma. - Edward Sorley sat in his chair like a real aristocrat. He was flipping through something on his phone, sipping tea from a cup of fine Chinese porcelain with floral ornaments.
- Good afternoon. - I smiled slightly as I walked into the room. - Do you have business with me again? What's stealing Ocean's 11 this time?
- That's not the case. - The man waved it away with a grin. - As the eldest of those present, I am obliged to present you with an official invitation. - In a second he was in front of me, passing a black matte envelope into my hands.
- It's like a family convention, but more formal. - Lucille added. - A dinner party, and then a memorial ball, to which everyone wears red, thereby honoring the past, past the bloody wars between vampires, werewolves and witches.
- Wow. - I exhaled. - And that's what they call me for?
- That's right, - Sorley shook his head, - Collen wants to meet you because of your connection with James, and because of your ability to manage time, of course.
- I see. - I examined the envelope in my hand. - You'll all be there, right?
- Everyone you know. - Lucille replied.
- You'll be safe. - Edward assured me.
- Well, allright. - I said timidly.
- Hooray, it's time to look for a prom dress, like in Twilight. - William, suddenly right behind me, put his hand on my shoulder, making me wince. - Just don't get distracted by books with wet dreams about vampires.
- Oh, don't worry, there's something else wet that connects me to vampires. - I answered, looking into his eyes with a challenge.
In a second, the two of us laughed. Yes, I admit, I managed to miss that sassy, condescending vampire from the Middle Ages.