This is serious

It's been about four days since I started cohabiting with vampires, so to speak. They didn't bother me as much as they used to, but I was careful around them, which is understandable. However, contrary to myself and my principles, I also portrayed such an obedient girl so as not to "cause inconvenience" next to Edward. They even started inviting me to meals together when they had human food on the table.
Yes, by the way, the appearance of the maid, Mrs. Brooks, a middle-aged woman, was also a plus. She cooked, cleaned the house, helped me with my outfits, and even prepared a hot bath for me after I tearfully begged James for it.
Now we were all sitting in the dining room together. Mrs. Brooks fussed about the housework, and I stuffed bread and butter into my mouth, which was surprisingly delicious here.
- Would you like some more wine, Mr. Sorley?- I asked, turning to Edward.
- I won't refuse, thank you. - The vampire nodded slightly and smiled.
- Emma, you don't have to serve here. - James protested.
- Nothing, - I waved off, pouring wine into his glass, - this, you know, I perceive as one of the reasons not to eat me, I suck up.
- Yes, dear God, - the red-haired vampire laughed, - we won't eat you if you don't play the maid. - Shut up, O'Miles,-  William snapped.- I'll do. So, honey, I'll have some more wine, alright? - He smiled obscenely.
- Of course, - I grimaced, - just do me a favor and turn away for a second so that I have time to spit in your glass.
Both vampires around me laughed, and William didn't seem to expect such a reaction from me. But I won't say that he looked offended. Rather, hmm, even interested...
Later that day, a knock was heard in my room, where I spent most of my time. Without a second thought, I opened the door, thinking that James was calling me for a walk, as always. However, I saw Edward in the doorway, which, frankly, surprised me.
- I have business with you, Miss Woodshires, may I come in?- The man nodded at the room behind me.
- Yes, of course, Mr. Sorley. You can just call me Emma.- I left the aisle, allowing the vampire to be in the center of the room in a second.
- Then let's put aside the officialdom, you can call me Edward.- He smiled a little again.
- Okay, Edward, - I specifically highlighted his name, - so what business do you have with me?- I walked a little closer to him, folding my arms over my chest.
The vampire told me about that book and how important it was to Collen and the whole family. He very much avoided direct questions, so that was all I understood from his story. I helped him only by telling him the name of the owners of the museum where I saw the book in my time-Bishop. Then he made me promise to be on their side, no matter what happened.
- And, Emma, - he turned to me, looking into my eyes with his gray ones, - now it's serious, you have to understand it. Betrayal is punishable by death in our country. And the death of a traitor has much more weighty motives than just the death of a victim.- He said coldly.
- I see.- That was all I could get out of myself.
- But it is a warning, - he smiled slightly again, although I regarded it more like a smirk, - have a nice day. - He bowed, and I automatically curtsied in return.
And Edward left, leaving me alone in the room with my heart pounding and my hands shaking. What have I gotten myself into? On the other hand, did I have a choice?!
Oddly enough, that day James, apparently, was busy with business, so I had to spend the whole day in the room, I still did not dare to just walk and move freely around the house. Fortunately, there were several books in this place. And with my degree in literature, I was really interested in studying them.
It was late in the evening when the devil pulled me down again. This time I was hoping to catch Mrs. Brooks, the maid, to ask her for a cup of tea and maybe another bath. When I went downstairs, I really saw her. Or rather, not just her. I stood in the aisle and watched as a sweet middle-aged lady cut her wrist and poured the resulting blood into a cup...James. He politely smiled at her, thanked her and, biting through his finger, dripped his own blood on the place of the cut on the maid's hand, causing it to grow instantly.
After taking a sip of the liquid from the glass, Jamie noticed me.
- Hey, Emma,- he smiled, but there was still fresh blood on his lips, - I was busy today, I'm sorry. How did you spend your day?
- N... no.- I shook my head, and, turning around, quickly went upstairs.
Literally flying into my room, I slammed the door behind me and sat down on a chair in a stupor. Yes, I knew who James was. I knew he wasn't feeding on sunlight. But to see it this way, with my own eyes. And the calmness with which he began the conversation. It is clear that this is probably the most humane way to feed on human blood, but it will also dry up a poor woman with a smile on her face. And she? How does she calmly allow him to do this?
A persistent knock on the door knocked me out of my terrified thoughts.
- Emma, it's me. - James's muffled voice was heard. Well, of course...
- Emma, we need to talk, - the vampire continued, - open up.
I could hear from his tone how he was getting more and more annoyed. I didn't like it, but I still didn't want to get up and open the damn door, even though I knew I was only making it worse.
- Emma,- James exhaled loudly, - I'm coming in.
With these words, he opened the door to the room, and I thought about getting a key somewhere. I automatically got up from the chair and now found myself opposite him. Jamie, closing the door behind him, gently took me by the shoulders and led me to the bed, putting me on it. He himself took the chair I was sitting on before, put it in front of me and sat down.
- I'm not a little girl to arrange "serious conversations" with me, - I made quotes in the air, - and you won't say anything that I don't already know.- I tried to look as calm as possible, but something inside me was shrinking.
- And what's wrong? The red-haired man spread his hands, and then looked at me carefully.
- It's just, - I jumped out of bed and began to cut circles around the room, trying to cope with emotions, - I want to believe you, Jamie. You're like a nice young man and all that. But you eat people. No matter how you cover up, no matter how you veil it. You feed on people.- I stopped for a second and realized that emotions began to get the better of me. I should have stopped talking right now, but I was already carried on.
Jamie stood in front of me, apparently still listening to what I would say next.
- And I can't accept it, it's difficult.- I shook my head and one tear fell on my cheek."And this lady, Mrs. Brooks, you're hurting her. But at the same time, he is also nice to her. I'm no different from her.
- No,- James exhaled, - you're different.
- Yes? And with what?- Tears were already flowing from both eyes.- Nothing, she is also a person, also on good terms with you, but you feed on her and eventually kill her. So maybe me, huh? - Emotions overwhelmed me. Because of the tears, I couldn't see half of the room anymore.
I pulled on the sleeve of my dress, rolling it up, and stretched out my hand, placing my wrist right next to Jamie's lips.
- Maybe you'll drink me too? I repeated, already regretting what I had said. But when emotions get the better of me, I can't help myself.
As if in slow motion, I watched the vampire seem to inhale my scent, as his blue eyes turn black, as black veins appear under them, and teeth turn into fangs. He lightly touched my skin with his lips, making me cry out, and then, literally in a split second, his face took on a familiar look, he hurriedly apologized and literally stormed out of the room.
I closed the door and collapsed on the bed face down. What have I done? Ruined everything again. I really shouldn't have snapped at Jamie like that. I also felt wild fear from what had happened, but at the same time, it's worth admitting, the touch of his lips on my wrist felt so hot ... but most of all I was ashamed of what was happening. My emotions were really messing up my life this time and I should have fixed it.
Having cleaned myself up, I carefully left the room, going in search of James to apologize and have a normal conversation. However, when I went down to the first floor, I saw only William at the end of the corridor. He was sitting on the window with one leg hanging out onto the street. And I think he smoked.
- Is there another one?- I asked, nodding at the bundle in his hand.
- So you smoke tobacco ... - William grinned, and then he moved a little and pointed me to the place behind him.
- As a whore should, or whatever you call me.- I shrugged my shoulders, sat down next to him and, taking the bundle from his hands, lit it on the flint held out to me.
- Don't take it personally.- He began.
- No, no, forget it, - I waved away, - men do not change over the years, as well as their insult. As they say, "burnt me up in stake you thought I was a witch, centuries ago, now you just call me a bitch."- I quoted a line from Marina's song.
- Where's James, by the way?- I took a drag.
- Flew out into the street and with the ends.- William blew smoke out the window.- And what did you scare our knight with?- He arched one eyebrow.
- Nothing new. But I shouldn't have pushed him too hard, I'm sorry about that. - I waved away, also exhaling smoke into the street.- But, if you're so interested, I think I asked him why he didn't drink my blood then, since he drinks it from other people and almost made him bite himself.
- And you're a thrill-seeker. - William chuckled.- But don't overdo it, my advice to you. He talked about his past, didn't he? Edward has known him for a long time. So, even our Eddie is a little afraid of him. You can fool around, yes, reprimand, but in a quarrel with James you will not get along.
- I see. - I exhaled.- You didn't make it easier for me to have an upcoming conversation.
- I wasn't going to. - William shrugged his shoulders.
- Maybe then at least you will tell me why he helps me? - I persisted.
- Must have fallen in love. - Taylor grinned.- I don't know, but it's serious. They told me not to touch you.- He looked me up and down for a second, and then exhaled another cloud of smoke into the street.- But, to be honest, I didn't really want to. You're not my type.
- I'll take it as a personal compliment.- I pretended to smile and extinguished the bull on the frame of the window.- Thank you for the cigarette and a surprisingly pleasant conversation.
- Yeah, please don't get used to it. - William took another drag.
- If you see James, please let him know I've been looking for him.-  I said, and then curtsied and went upstairs.
Going into my room, I collapsed on the bed again. I both wanted and didn't want to talk to Jamie. Yes, I believed William when he talked about his danger and all that. But I was really drawn to him. Even though we are so different, I really enjoyed spending time with him, and I never felt a real threat from him, even today.