That Christmas

James and I spent the next 3 months just getting to know each other. Going on dates, watching movies together and looking for all sorts of cool things in thrift stores.
And so, today was Christmas Day. It was not so cold in London, and the snow flakes falling from the sky and melting on the asphalt created the atmosphere of a Christmas romcom. We put up a live Norwegian spruce and decorated it with yellow lights and garlands.
Only Lucille and Edward remained in London that day. Rose went to live with Debbie's family for the holidays, and William went to Europe right after the memorial ball, and we haven't heard from him in all these months. So James and I decided to drop by the Dura-Sorley townhouse to congratulate them on the holiday and give Lucille her favorite Chanel perfume, Edward silver cufflinks, and Genevieve a little knitted rabbit.
- I can pour you some wine. - Lucille smiled, placing the glasses on the coffee table. - Our nanny has a day off today, so I definitely could use it.
- Yes, and, Emma, before I forget, Merry Christmas! - She handed me a small box with a bow and lightly put her arm around my shoulders.
- We think you need this thing. - Edward added, pouring white wine into glasses.
- Oh, my God. - I smiled as I opened the gift. - Thank you, it's very nice!
In the box was a small gold pendant in the shape of a heart, on the back of which was engraved the inscription "To a member of the Hart family".
- They didn't give me one. - Jamie smiled. - Let me help you put it on.
- We give you a record every year, you should not break this tradition. - Lucille waved him off.
- Oh, and what is it? - Edward asked theatrically, handing him the box.
- Wow, - Jamie laughed, - no, but you did your best this time. Fabulous records are hard to find. They are very underrated.
We only managed to chat for about half an hour. Then the baby monitor turned on, Genevieve woke up.
- Oh, I have to go. - Lucille gasped.
- We'll probably go too. - Said James. - We didn't want to stay too long.
- As you say. - The Frenchwoman replied, kissing us on the cheeks in turn. - Thank you for stopping by, and for the gifts, too.
She went upstairs, taking a full glass of white wine with her.
- I'll go to the boys' room and we'll go, okay? - Jamie said, getting up from the couch.
- Okay, I'm waiting for you. - I shook my head, watching him go.
- Edward, I think you can be trusted in this matter. - I caught the attention of a vampire sitting in a chair with a glass of wine.
- All in attention. - He looked at me with his blue eyes.
- Is there monogamy among vampires? - I asked. - I mean, have you and Lucille been in love for centuries?
- I think, Emma, - he chuckled slightly, - love has been too romanticized throughout human history. This is not about shaking hands at the sight of Mr. Darcy and not about the sinking of the heart when looking at Juliet.
- What do you think it is? - I asked with interest, finishing my wine.
- Love is a choice. And then, if you treat her like that, it becomes not difficult to love someone for a long time. - The vampire shook his head. - Every day, when you wake up, you choose to be with someone, and when you choose one person every day, in the end there is no difference whether you do it for 20, 50 or 100 years.
- Wow, - I smiled and shook my head. - Thank you very much, Edward. These are very important  words.
- You're welcome. - He nodded back. - Glad to help.
- Well, shall we go ? - James asked loudly as he entered the living room.
- Of course. - I smiled, and we, holding hands, went outside.
At home, James and I spent a great Christmas drinking cider, eating his fast food and watching all the parts of Harry Potter.
- I have something for you, by the way. - I took out a velvet bag from the dresser and, going over to the vampire, sat down next to him. - I know that you have literally everything, but when I saw this, I immediately thought of you, so I hope you have at least 10 of these.
- I don't have anything like that. - He smiled broadly as he took out a black metal dragon ring.
- It's a vintage biker ring. It seems like, in the 50s, it indicated belonging to a dangerous biker gang.
- It is. - He put it on, smiling. - I'm very touched, thank you. - James kissed me on the cheek.
- I have something for you, too, and I hope you like it. - He handed me a paper envelope with 2 beautiful tickets inside.
- The Wombats Christmas concert? Shut up! - I exclaimed, almost and almost jumped on the spot with delight. - I didn't know they were performing...
- Well, we were lucky. - The vampire shrugged. - I'm glad I pleased you.
- Thank you, thank you! - I pounced on him, passionately kissing the man on the lips. - I love them so much, you know.
- I know. - He smiled, putting his arm around my waist.
A couple of days later, James and I were going to a London bar for the concert of my favorite band. I put on warm black tights, denim shorts and rough boots of the same color, and, like a true fan, I put on a branded sweatshirt of The Wombats.
We drank vodka and coke and danced to our favorite songs, trying to get as close to the stage as possible, and then went for a walk, grabbing a bottle of beer from the local supermarket.
We were sitting on a bench, looking at the evening Thames, in which the street lights were reflected beautifully and very romantically. I was wrapped up in my long gray faux fur coat, and the vampire didn't seem to be cold at all in his black sheepskin coat.
- You know, this is where we sat after the ball, remember that? - James asked, looking around.
- Oh my God, yes! - I cried out ecstatically. - You know, it was difficult to recognize this place without the smell of mud and sewage.
- Hey, I remembered something. - I pointed at him with my finger, looking at the man in the light of the street lamps. - You once shared a cigarette with me in the smoking room of the bar, right?
- Yes, - the vampire smiled awkwardly and ran his hand through his short red hair, - but it was a chance meeting, believe me, I'm not some kind of stalker, and it, well, didn't feel very good for me.
- I understand. - I shook my head.
- Well, it seems it's time. - He exhaled, apparently gathering his thoughts.
- Is it time to kill me and throw me into the Thames, Mr. Stalker? - I grinned, glancing at him.
- Almost. - James shook his head and reached into the inside pocket of his sheepskin coat.
He handed me the same ring I'd worn when we'd made that vampire marriage connection. I could have been wrong, but I think his hand was shaking.
- I know that, theoretically, we are married, but I want to do everything for real and in the present. - The man looked up at me. - So, Emma Amelia Woodshires, would you mind marrying me and officially becoming Emma Amelia Woodshires-O'miles-Hart at last?
- Damn it, - I laughed, but a couple of tears came to my green eyes, - firstly, how many surnames. - I missed the nervous chuckle again.
- I hope this won't affect your answer. - James smiled, but it was obvious that he was nervous.
- No, - I shook my head, - oh, I mean, it won't affect, - I laughed again, wiping tears from my cheeks, - yes, of course yes!
Then Jamie put that most beautiful gold ring with a black diamond seal and a rose engraved on it on my ring finger, and I pounced on him, covering his lips with mine, putting the whole gamut of emotions overflowing me into this kiss.
Greek Tragedy was still playing in my head, and while we were kissing, fluffy flakes of snow fell on top of us, settling on our hair and clothes. It really looked and felt like a scene from a romantic movie and I knew for sure that I had made the right choice by saying "yes" last time and this time. And I'm ready to say yes a million more times if necessary.