Chapter 29 Lex's Schemes

United States.

Gotham......

Batman....... no. Currently, it wasn't Batman but Bruce Wayne sitting in his after workout casual clothes scrolling through a massive amount of information before his eyes on the Bat computer.

Bruce was a rather strict fellow, strict to others and even more so to himself.

When he wasn't out in his other persona, the billionaire playboy of Wayne Industries, he spent his time either fighting crime on the streets of Gotham, or going through massive paperwork.

Just like right now.

If he didn't need to create a cover to take people's thoughts away from guessing that he was The Dark Knight, Bruce would have abandoned his second self a long time ago to increase work efficiency.

“Master Bruce, I feel the need to inform you for the Nth time that doing such a large amount of work over such long periods is not good for your health. And it honestly worries me”.

Alfred said as he stepped out of the elevator that led from the Wayne Manor above the Bat cave with a tray of high caffeine coffee and a plate of Bruce's favorite snacks.

His expression was solemn and serious, like a worried uncle.

“I'm Batman Alfred. There are some things I need to do. Besides, it's only been a few days”. Bruce said lightly.

“Correct me if I'm wrong, Master Bruce, but you have been at this for a month. If you consider a months time as only a few days, I might have to rewire my thinking process”. Alfred replied.

Bruce answered with his right to remain silent.

He took the large mug of coffee from his loyal butler and didn't even flinch as he drank the scalding hot, bitter as tar, ambrosia.

Bruce had to sigh a bit in his heart. Out of everyone in the world, Alfred understood him the best.

A small period of time passed as Bruce continued to immerse himself in going through file after file. Leading Alfred to ultimately break the silence.

“Has Mr. Kent's condition made any improvements?” His question caused Bruce to stiffen a bit. Four seconds later, Bruce slumped back into his chair.

A weary sigh adorned his handsome features as he uttered the word in irritation. “No”.

Alfred's face showed a look of slight disappointment, but quickly returned to normal.

“Worry not, Master Bruce, I believe Mr. Kent can pull through this. He is Superman, after all”. He comforted with the best words he could muster.

“Hopefully.....” Bruce said in reply.

One month. It had been a whole forty-two days since the invasion above Central City and a lot of ....... Uneventful things had taken place.

The explosion of the alien vessel was beyond the League's expectations. Something they certainly didn't see coming.

At first, Batman didn't believe it when the report came from the Watchtower. The two green lanterns were unconscious, leaving the only available leaguers at the time capable of chasing, Martian Manhunter to initiate pursuit.

The good news was, after two days of searching, they managed to find Superman's unconscious body in deep space. Of course, at that time, reinforcements had arrived in the form of Captain Atom, Cyborg and Shazam.

Bad news, Clark was comatose. Even now, forty days later, he still hadn't woken up for reasons unclear to the League.

Bruce remembered how Clark looked like when they had recovered him. His wounds had healed, but the scars hadn't. His suit was once again in a mess and the fact that Clark had fought yet again another life and death deciding battle made him feel grim.