Chapter 37 Rescued?

After I wash my hair, I sit in front of my vanity with a huff, the events which happened few hours ago starts playing in my mind.

After the most shocking revelation, I was mildly cool to be honest, I don't know why I always had a feeling something like this was bound to happen.

George dropped me off in person back to my house, I was a little skeptical for him to know my house address without me telling him.

I know I should press charges against him, but I don't know what to do anymore. After a long time in my life I am feeling this lonely, betrayed and helpless.

Slowly people who were the centre of my life are changing or leaving me. In case of my friend, I am the reason her life is in danger right now. More because of my husband.

The rise of bile and the acid taste behind my throat gives even more reason how much I hate him, he is the reason isn't it for all of these things to happen. He is the sole reason why I am feeling like this.

George wants me to get a pen drive of god knows what from James in exchange for Emily.

After changing into a random sweatshirt and jeans I leave to his apartment. I have no plan, no idea what I am going to do. But if I sit idle in my house with all these thoughts running in my mind I will go crazy.

As I ring his bell and wait for him to open the door, I get a message from an unknown number it says 'The PIN number-XXXX' and a picture of a silver safe.

The door unlocks and a sleepy looking James comes to my view. He is again in normal clothes, I don't know why but seeing him like that with bed hair and a confused pout on his face, a smile involuntary adorns my lips.

Which makes him more confused and he gives way for me to come inside.

I sit down on his couch with a sigh and he stands there looking at me and the time to and fro.

I am not gonna lie I would be as confused as him if I see someone come to my house at 2am.

"What happened Emma?" He asks and that's when I crumble no that's not the right word I shatter completely.

I start sobbing, I don't remember the last time I cried like this, that to in front of someone. It was an ugly cry I think I starting even howling at some point.

Sooting circles in my back and a crouched down James is what I see with my hazy vision.

He tells 'it's alright, it's ok!' in repeat as he pats my back and cradles me against his chest.

I start telling him all the things that happened, I don't care if his house is tapped or that stupid George is looking at this. I know I am risking the life of Emily, but I don't know what to do.

He slowly listens to me and nods his head and leaves the room, after sometime he comes with a glass of water.

As I am gulping down the water like a thirsty toddler, he places a pen drive on the table.

"This is what he is asking for, give it to him tomorrow. I am sure he will return Emily after that, if he doesn't..." he stops and look up to him clenching his fists against his sides.

I get up and rush to hug him, he gets taken aback for a second.

I hiccup and tell him, "What does it contain?"

"You don't need to know that, the guest room is empty. You can stay the night here, I will drop you off tomorrow."

He says this and leaves without turning back.

I sit down on the floor and continue crying for a while, as I am confused what the hell and why is all this happening.

***

As I place the pen drive in the hood of a white sedan in the empty parking lot of Costco that is two miles away from my house.

I sit in my car clutching my phone in my hand chanting and praying all the gods in the world to send Emily back in one whole piece.

The ping sound of my phone causes a jerk in body and as I open the message still from an unknown person, I punch the coordinates into the GPS as I start driving mindlessly following the directions.

After an hour, I reach a motel as I enter the reception someone passes me a door key and leaves swiftly.

I look down at the key card where the number 256 is written and press the floor 2 as I wait I get a message from James about how am I?

How am I? Wow a question I never even thought about for the past 48 hours. As I open the door and enter, the eerie silence in the room turns my blood cold.

As I take slow steps towards the door, I hear the water running in the bathroom. I look around the room to find empty takeaway containers, soda cans and the tv running on mute.

I knock on the bathroom door, it opens in a second and there Emily looks at me with bloodshot eyes and deep eye bags wearing the motel robe. She hugs me in instant and starts crying onto my shoulders.

I don't know for how long we were holding each other and sobbing, it felt like hours. All I know is that my Emily is alive and breathing, I thank god and hold her tightly to check if this is real and I am not dreaming.

Our tears dry up and we look at each other, she takes a glance over at myself and I don't even need a mirror to know I look as distraught maybe worse than how she looks.

Silently she changes into her dress that she takes from a laundry bag. I give her a questioning look and she continues to change as I look around the room.

"No one is here." She speaks for the first time since we met.

"No one is here if that's what you are looking around, I was all by myself, food was in the room before I wake up and sometimes they ring the bell and the food will be out on the corridor." She says as she takes her handbag and looks into it.

"For how long were you here?" I ask warily, my gut wrenching with the question.

"One week or more? I am not sure to be honest, days seemed short and nights seemed longer." She says slowly, her eyes filling up with fresh batch of tears.

The answer causes a drop in my stomach and all I can hear my mind says, 'It's all because of you, how careless and selfish I was.'

I close the door hanging my head down we walk towards the lift. I hold her hand and she allows me.

I give the key in the reception and the bald guy there gives us a nasty smirk at our clutched hands.

I felt sick to my stomach but we continue to walk to the car without any reaction. I leave her at house as she asked some alone time. I was against it but she was persistent.

I just did a general examination on her and asked her if she is hurt anywhere. She replied no for all the questions.

A sigh of relief comes from me but looking at her state my heart wrenches.

"Please allow me to stay the night with you." I beg as I kneel in front of her.

She still looks away from me staring at the blank television and shakes her head in denial.

I get up and she continues staring and I order for her food and I make sure she eats it and give her some sleeping pills as she complained it has been days since she slept properly.

I stay by her side against her wishes but I knew this was the least I could do, I don't know why she wants to be alone.

Was it the constant fear of being watched or the feeling of betrayal when she sees me is making her do so. But I simply close my eyes and retire for the night with all these thoughts swirling in my mind.

__________________________
Hello guys, I know I hate myself as well. I legit left you guys for ages. I am still alive for all those concerned messages. It's exam season once again so look out for new chapters. Ifykyk🙌🏻

Lots of love
XOXO