Chapter 38 Backfired plans

It has been three days since Emily came back home and now she has planned to stay for a week with her mother, more like I am forcing her to.

My study holidays for my upcoming residency exams has also started. So I will have to report to my duty only once a week that to only for attendance.

Since I took part in all my Covid duties I have accumulated all the paid leave since then. So I thought of accompanying her to her house. It has been ages since I saw her mother as well.

"You don't have to Emma, I can go all by myself it's only New York I am not traveling to another country." She says mildly. She has been reserved since the incident.

She always changes the subject or remains silent when I ask her about what happened there with her. I am really worried that's why when she asked for a change in environment, I suggested her mom's place.

And the another reason is her mom is a psychiatrist and I think it will help her in one way or another and she has been worried sick since her MIA, we decided not to tell her about the incident, more like she decided not to.

"Nah, we have already discussed about this. Let's go to NY baby!" I scream and lunge onto her.

She widens her eyes and moves away so I fall face first into her luggage.

"Rude!" I scream into her clothes. And that's when she laughs and I look at her with tears in my eyes and huge smile as this is the first proper laugh of hers since we came back.

She notices my expression and her face goes back to the blank face. To be honest her actions are weird she has been super silent and secretive.

She is either looking  at something blankly or on her phone. She is always hiding her phone or takes up the call in another room.

"Ok fine! I am leaving, eat your meds on time. I will come to drop you off at the airport. The departure time is 6:30pm only right?" I say casually as I take my handbag and place her tablets and soup on the dining table.

"Yes, but please you don't have to drop me off, I will go by myself I am not an invalid yet." She says angrily as she gulps down the medicine.

My eyes tear up with the choice of her words, I look up to her and for a fraction of second her eyes softens up seeing my state but then she turns around and leaves the room.

I don't know what happened there with her but something is truly off, I have to find that out soon.

***
"Wait, you are going to New York? Why what?" James looks up from his pile of documents for the first time since I came into his cabin.

"Now that I have your precious attention, please keep that information to yourself and if someone calls from my hospital. Tell them that I am sick capiche?" I say quickly.

"Hold up!" He stands up and comes in front of me, leaning against the desk.

I take a step back, damn! This is so not fair to look like that when his personality stinks.

All my thoughts come to a scorching halt when he flexes his arms and places it on the table.

He is wearing a dark blue shirt that is bringing out his baby blue eyes out more with khakhi colored pants.

"If you are done ogling, should I repeat my question once again?" He asks with a slight smirk.

"Huh as if, in your dreams! I was...I was just looking at your shirt, is it Ralph?" I ask looking anywhere other than him.

"No darling, it's LV! For your information you do more than just ogling in my dreams my dear wifey." He gives out a full blown smile shining all his pearly whites.