[7]

special surprise?

CAROLINE

The hall was dressed in red balloons, red cutlery, red cushions, a dazzling photo booth, fairy lights to enhance the mood. "Woah.." my friend beside me released a surprised gasp and together our families and friends closely watched his reaction.

"Happy birthday Liam!!" the group chorused and Liam went around, conversing with everyone individually. I stood back by the photo booth, taking a few pictures with Meghan and Claire. My eyes fell onto the beautiful photos and we giggled amongst ourselves. "Care!" Liam shouted from across the room and excusing myself, I rushed up to the birthday boy.

"Grandma!" I squealed and hugged the poor lady as tightly as I possibly could imagine. Liam's grandmother indeed was my grandmother too. Feigning disgust, he teased the two of us , "Grandma you don't even wish me with this much joy!"

"Shut up boy" she waved her arm, dismissing Liam who reluctantly dispersed into the crowd moving on to our friends. The obvious sentiment of satisfaction creeped in and a proud smirk plastered itself on my face.

+

Birthday dinner.

I guess one could even say the dreadful part of any birthday. At least for Liam and I. My seat was right beside Liam and soon we had begun the special birthday meal. It wasn't too long later until Liam's dad spoke a small toast for his special son.

"Dude is everyone looking at me?" Liam nudged my arm, his eyes drooping down to the ground. "No" I continued slicing the steak but to no avail was the steak going to tear.

"Idiot" he laughed and scooted his chair closer to mine. "Give that to me" his honey suckle voice whispered lowly, pulling my plate towards him and tearing the steak into tinier pieces.

"Here" his face split into a wide grin and scooted back over. "Thanks..." I mumbled, not loud enough for him to hear because the old feeling was back. The air felt tense and hot around my neck and face and I wondered whether global warming was rising.

+

It was time for Liam's ending toast. The one we were all waiting for personally. His eyes passed around the crowd, landing on mine for a second longer than others and I clapped along encouraging him with a reassuring nod.

"Hey everyone! Okay first of all thank you all for coming to this special party. I honestly do not think 14 is a big age but now 14 feels so special because of all of you. Thank you to both my moms and both my dads for setting up this party and for showering me with love and support daily. To my annoying friends..." he paused as a whoops of laughter poured out. "To my annoying friends, thank you for being annoying. And lastly but most importantly, the girl who has been my backbone since I could ever remember, Caroline..." he turned facing down. "Care I don't know how I would have lived without you. Thank you for being the best person I know" I smiled.

+

"John? Where is Liam?"

The party had wrapped up. About 95% of the guests had left and it was just our parents and our friends left. Everyone was busy chatting up, taking last minute pictures, grabbing bags and whatnot but my eyes kept searching for the birthday boy.

"Him and Meghan went out I think. For photos probably" John shrugged his shoulders and continued to chat up with Susan.

"Be right back guys" I exited the hall, thoroughly scanning each and every person in the hotel but none of them were my friend. The path led me out to the open garden and I saw the same red shirt guy, my friend. Smiling I take light steps towards him but I had to stop in my tracks after hearing everything.

"Li.. I really like you. Honestly I myself do not know when it started but I really do like you. Even during summer when I was with a guy, I couldn't stop thinking about you. Will you be mine?"

"Meg, I am not 100% sure about my feelings right now but I do want to date you. In my eyes at least you are someone who has stood out the most and I don't know if it's a sign or not but I'm willing to try...."

hmp<3