[11]

a new friendship

LIAM

Summer was far more eventful in the upcoming days. Care and I visited our other friends, went to amusement parks and even got a chance to go on a special trip with just our families. With just a week left before sophomore year, I decided to utilise my time in advising my dear friend to have a chat with her ex best friend.

"Liam I really don't know" she forced, her anger radiating through the room but my hopes were high. "Can you at least listen to me" I pleaded but she simply chose to ignore me.

"Fine" I replied eventually and we got back into another gaming session. About thirty minutes later, a text popped on Caroline's phone making my eyes wander down to it.

"Ugh fuck" I heard her and peered down to the message.

Meghan
Meet me at the park at 4. I will be waiting

"See? I told you it was due" I mocked and she rolled her eyes, passing a quick glare to my direction. "Fuck off" she whispered and then placed the controller gently down on the table while getting up. "Where you off to?"

"To get dressed. It's 3 pm already" she complained and disappeared down the stairs, towards her home.

+

"Li I don't want to do this" she gripped my arm, her eyes drawing in a look of panic as I immediately pull her body closer to mine. "Do you want to go?" I ask and after careful consideration, she shook her head furiously. "I will be waiting for you okay?"

"No I will come home by myself" she countered but I silenced her with a small peck on her forehead. This surprised her as she tilted her head in confusion, however a cheery smile lingered on her beautiful face.

"I will be waiting okay dear?"

CAROLINE

Smiling at his disappearing figure, I turn back around, inhaling deeply and exhaling loudly as my heart banged against my chest, the sadness and anger creeping in all at once. My eyes scanned for Meghan and soon I found her, sitting on a bench, her eyes observing the children play.

"Hey" I walked up to her and she turned around towards me. "Long time" she replied.

"Long time indeed" I sat down and paused. The awkwardness now loud, I clear my throat to look at her. Every set of emotion pulled me in-: happiness,sadness, anger, guilt. Staring at each other, the two of us broke out into tears immediately while our hands surrounded one another, pulling each other into the tightest embrace, the tears overshadowing the screams of kids.

"I am so so so sorry!!!" I heard her between the cries as I quickly patted her back, reassuring her. The anger appeared to have melted away, finding myself with a different compassion for Meghan.

+

"Since we have stopped crying, I will apologise properly. And please don't interrupt me till I finish okay?" Meghan requested and I nodded.

She breathed in, her fingers fidgeting around in nervousness and she began speaking.

"Caroline, whatever I said that day came from a place that was filled with insecurities and fear. To be honest, when Liam and I dated, I was always jealous of you because of how he looked at you. And I was scared. I was scared I would lose him to you. I know that doesn't give me any right to say the things I said that day but here's the actual truth - you mean the world to me. I am not saying this to make up with you but genuinely you are the one that makes me the happiest. And these past months where we haven't uttered a word to each other could easily be the worst few months of my life. I am working on my insecurities, trying to not let my emotions tear me down. I wish I could say I want us to go back to old times but I know we cannot. I just hope maybe from today onwards we can start a new, fresh friendship where I am not afraid to speak my thoughts to you."

She exhaled immediately, her eyes peering into mine with a mixture of confusion and worry.

"Meg, you were my best friend. And it hurt a goddamn lot after that one misunderstanding. But what upset me even further was how you never told me about your fears. You know, I wasn't going to forgive you at all but... I know that we are still in high school. I know we make mistakes but we learn from it. Yes we cannot go back to being how we were but most certainly we can begin a new friendship. Arguments make people closer and I believe we will be closer than before" I smiled as I finally felt the heaviness from my heart sinking.

"Want to spend a day tomorrow together?" Meghan asked, the tears brimming. I nodded excitedly.

"I must be off. I promise to you that I will be the best version of myself Care" Meghan pulled me into another embrace as we both allowed our hearts to heal from the pain, the strength of our friendship tightening our bond.

"Bye" I bid her goodbye and turn to exit the park.

"Here" Liam passed cotton candy and my eyes widened to see him. "You stayed?" I asked and he nodded. "Duh!"

"How did it go?" he asked, his unsettling eyes on me but I found myself smiling at that question. And I guess my answer gave him the answer he needed.

"Shall we go home?"

hmp :)

short chapter i know!!! but the next one gonna be longgggg!!!