[15]

realisations were late

CAROLINE

The day of the performance drew closer and closer and I just got busier and busier. Jackson and I had a hard time trying to adjust school into our schedules. Today was a Thursday, and all I remembered from morning was flying through the crowd to get towards the auditorium.

Rehearsals were entertaining. Over the past few weeks, we all got closer to one another and certainly shared tears of laughter.

"Okay Caroline, let's pick up from the last scene" our sir advised. Nodding, I got into position, beside Jackson. We weren't portraying the death scene but added our own twist where Romeo and Juliet do get a happy ending together. The last scene would be their marriage scene, where the couples seal their marriage with an everlasting kiss.

Jackson and I miserably failed to contain our laughter in the last few days but we knew we had to be professional.

We promised we wouldn't kiss until the day of the programme but I had to admit something. He made me feel some things. My heart would just beat faster around his presence and I hated to admit that his charming smile made me weak in the knees.

The sound of the door opening caught my attention and I turned to smile at Liam, who waved quickly and positioned himself as the audience.

LIAM

Now why was I here?

To keep an eye out for Jackson. I didn't trust that guy not one bit. The way he held her waist, the way his eyes silently watched her, I hated that piece of vermin. But they were actors, I knew my voice had no relevance but it was indeed annoying.

Their practice concluded about two hours later and I slowly made my way towards Caroline. However I froze in my tracks and decided to eavesdrop on Jackson's conversation with Caroline.

"You did great!" Jackson raised his hand for a high five and Caroline gladly obliged.

"You too! Damn I cannot believe that it is literally day after tomorrow. Like I'm so nervous!" she squeaked, while slowly packing up her things.

"I know, hey can I ask you something?"

"What's up?"

"If everything goes well, you owe me a date" Jackson grinned, the corners of his eyes twitching and Caroline paused momentarily.

"You know I like you already Care. A date won't hurt right?"

Caroline chuckled and nodded. "A date it is then"

Clenching my fists, I turned around, leaving the auditorium, as the anger consumed me.

DAY OF EVENT

CAROLINE

It was finally here. Today was the performance! It finally arrived! I tried to cool my racing heart but to no avail. I needed my best friend. And without another doubt, I began spam calling Liam who ran upstairs into my room by the third call.

"What?! WHAT?!" he ran towards me, his hand quickly cupping my right cheek but I shook my head. "I AM NERVOUS IDIOT!"

"DON'T BE! You are literally an amazing actor! And you know everything! Just be calm and I will be right in the front!!" he smiled, gently pulling my face closer till his lips attached itself to my forehead. Immediately my eyes closed at his touch, allowing myself to slowly ease my nerves as he whispered small words of encouragement.

"I will pack your bag and you get ready in the meantime" he smiled and got up and began packing up my bag.

Ugh I just loved my best friend.

Nodding I stretched my arms, knuckles cracking and got up to prep myself.

About thirty minutes later I was done and Liam had packed everything for me. Accepting the bag from him, I jog downstairs and headed out. "You don't need to come" I turn to Liam who paused in his tracks.

"Just come early in the evening and take the front row okay?" I smile, leaning over to wrap him in a tight hug. Immediately, his arms circled around my waist as we stayed in each other's embrace.

"Gotta go" I whisper slowly, releasing my grip and with a last smile, I jogged down the lane towards the bus stop.

LIAM

And the minute she left, I had the complete realisation.

I was ever so madly, irrevocably and hopelessly in love with her.

But I was late.

hmp

sorry for not uploading!