[8]

seven months later.

CAROLINE

Another seven months flew by. It was almost the end of freshmen year. News spread around that Meghan and Liam were dating. And of course I was the one who spread it. Being my best friend finally had the guts to date a girl, it was a moment in time that was rare. But the two were the cutest couple in the entire planet.

We arrived at our bus stop. Liam was preoccupied texting away, his eyes and nose peering into the screen with such intensity that I wondered whether the phone would attach to his face. "Yo bro?" I called out. He hummed in response.

"Okay stop. We need to talk" I grab his phone, stuffing it in the back pocket of my jeans.  He rolled his eyes, crossing his arms and leaned against a tree trunk. "Okay your girlfriend's birthday is coming up and we need to surprise her!"

"I know. I literally thought about it all night and not one good idea came into my head..." he pouted. "Which is why you have me idiot" I laughed and then pulled out my phone.

"Okay I made a cute plan. Read" I pushed my phone to his face and he took his time, his eyes scanning every word while a bright smile shone on his face. "You are seriously the best" he laughed while throwing an arm around my neck but I pushed his arm away.

"Bus arrived. I'll talk to girls. You talk to the boys okay?" I smiled and hopped onto the bus, greeting some of our classmates before sitting beside Meghan. Meg smiled at Liam and I swear at that moment I never felt more of an intruder.

"Wait do you both want to sit together?" I slowly pull my bag while getting up but two arms pulled me down. "Sit idiot" Liam scolded while Meghan was the other one who pulled me down.

"Don't think just because we are dating, you have no importance in our life okay?" Meghan smacked my head, and I giggled. I loved these two.

Susan and Claire were fast asleep so I didn't get a chance to talk to them in the bus whereas Liam was busy with the guys.

"Li" I called out to him in the cafeteria. He smiled and grabbed Meghan's arm and pulled her over to our seat. "Hey Skylar" Liam smiled and Skylar waved at the couple. Soon our gang joined and we were all chattering amongst ourselves when the phone in my pocket kept buzzing.

It was Liam's. I pulled it out and saw it was messages from Meghan making me look at the couple weirdly. "Ew" I mumbled under my breath while sneakily putting his phone back in his bag.

+

"Okay Li shut up" I sat on our beanbag up at Genovia. We decided to group up with the others to come up with a birthday plan before Liam had to go on his date with Meghan. Unfortunately none of these idiots would shut up so I had a hard time.

"GUYS!" I bellowed, the anger bubbling inside of me. Liam must have picked up on it since he fell silent on command making others follow him. "We need to plan this party okay?"

And we planned the perfect surprise for our girl. Or well Liam's girl.

LIAM

Everyone left and it was just Care and I again. It was time for me to go out with Meghan but watching Care made me rethink my choices. Her demeanour was rather upsetting - shoulders slumped, eyes drooped down, corners of lips sealed shut. She was hiding something from me and that irked me. My phone buzzed and Meghan texted me saying that she arrived.

I had no choice but to say goodbye and leave. Before shutting the door, I turned to look at my friend one last time. Her sadness called out to me and as much as I wanted to stay by her side, I couldn't. My heart was now shared by two women and I always had to keep that mind.

"Baby? What's wrong?" Meghan gripped my hand, her head turning to face me. I pushed out a smile, shaking my head furiously, denying her worries but my head was clouded with the thought of Caroline.

"Whenever you are sad it is because of Caroline. What happened?"

"Nothing baby" I smiled. Naturally I could tell she didn't believe me but thankfully she didn't push it any further. We walked around the park, biting into our ice cream when Meghan's phone rang.

"One second" she smiled and moved aside while I leaned against a tree trunk, my thoughts still stuck up on my best friend. I wondered who made her sad. Meghan came back towards me, swiftly planting a small kiss on my cheek and I grinned.

"I have to go now Li. Apparently my cousins came over so I need to go" she pouted. Giggling I steal a peck from her, watched her till she got a cab and ran back home.

I burst through the door back to Genovia, panting heavily only to see Caroline hugging my sweater. I moved closer and noticed the dried tears on her pillow and immediately I covered her up with a blanket. I wanted to cuddle with her like we always did but I had to respect my girlfriend.

I laid down beside her, my eyes still glued to her peaceful figure and slowly my eyes shut itself too. The next thing I remember was waking up to a yelling from a rather familiar voice.

"WHAT THE HELL LIAM? YOU SLEPT WITH YOUR FRIEND?!"

hmp<3