Chapter Twelve

Johnathan

I didn't pull any more pranks on Carter that'll scare him but I did have my fun.

Switching the sugar and salt. Eh? That would have worked better if he wasn't cooking for me too. What can I say? It's been interesting.

"Let's do something. It's my last day here. I'll be traveling for the next two weeks." Carter says plopping down on my lap. I shoved him off and he fell with a loud thud.

"No. I got shit to do you prick." I said stoically. I won't give away the fact that I felt... Funny... Thinking about him being gone for two weeks.

"Please? I promise to behave" he pouted. "Please? Please? Please?" he poked me with each word. God! He's so fucking annoying.

"Ugh! Fine you asshole." I hid the smile that wanted to overtake my face when Carter smiled adorably.

"Wear something casual and pack swimming clothes. We're going to the boardwalk." was all he said pinching my cheek and bounding out the room.

I hate having to tote stuff with me. But I packed nonetheless. Because I wanted today with him. Ugh! Stop falling for him you dumbass! Scolding myself didn't work back in high school and it sure as hell wasn't working now.

We arrived on the beach and got a good spot, we changed into our swim wear and ate ice cream. We walked the entire boardwalk. Seeing Carter smile and all happy and carefree had my heart doing that God awful flippy thing.

We swam for a bit and we were currently lying out in the sun.

"Hey Johnathan?"

"Mmh?"

"What'd you do after high school?"

"I went to Columbia and got my business management degree in small business and Lisa and I put up and bought the diner. We've been in cahoots ever since. Hey! What do you do that you have to travel so much?" dang it! I just remembered I don't know what the heck he did.

"You don't know what kind of job I do?" he asked incredulously.

"Well it's not like you told me dick head." I sassed.

"Oh this is rich! I'm so not telling you. Find out for yourself." he laughed.

"Don't hold your breath fucker. Wait, on second thought please do." I mumbled.

"What about relationships? You ever had a boyfriend Johnathan?" he asked rolling over and resting his head on my abs.

"Nope. I've had my fair share of ass but I've never had a boyfriend. I was never comfortable with myself thanks to you." I mumbled silently cussing myself.

"I'm sorry. But Johnathan you had to at least know you're really beautiful. Sexy. Handsome." Carter says looking at me, it's as if he didn't believe I never had self confidence.

"Carter I was only able to sleep with someone after a year of therapy." I sighed, "Look, it's nice to hear all those compliments but when you said those things to me on prom night they kinda stuck. I believed them Carter and sometimes I still do even now." the man looked as if I just ripped apart his favorite teddy bear.

"Oh Johnathan. I am so sorry. I didn't mean those things when I said it. I really am sorry," he sounded so sincere.

"It's ok Carter. Its in the past. I don't want to talk about anymore." I mumbled closing my eyes.

"OK." he mumbled. I sighed and started running my fingers through his hair.

We had a wonderful time but now Carter had his bags packed and we stood watching each other awkwardly.

"Well this is it. Guess it's goodbye for now." he says quietly.

"I guess." I mumbled. I felt like crying. Fucking stupid heart.

"I'll see you when I get back ok?"

"OK" I whispered.

"Don't think about me too much." he chuckled when I rolled my eyes at him.

"As if you cretin." I laughed.

I walked him out to his car and stood on the sidewalk while he put in his luggage. He walked over to me and hugged me for a long, long time. "I'll miss you." he whispered kissing my neck and stepping away.

I crossed my arms over my chest already missing his warmth. I watched as he got in his car and started it up and put on his shades. He pulled away and I watched as he drove away. The side walk was pretty busy and I didn't want to look like a kicked dog. I slowly walked in the general direction of the diner when a horn honked.

"Johnathan!" I whipped around. What the hell is wrong with this man? He shoved himself through the sun roof. It's a surprise he didn't stick. "I LOVE YOU!" oh sweet baby Jesus deliver me.

I face palmed and flipped him off with a big smile plastered on my face.

"I HATE YOU!" I shouted as he blew me a set of air kisses and sped away.

God! I'm really falling for Carter.

"Carter's gone." I mumbled to Lisa who was giving me the facial question.

"Oh? Isn't that what you wanted?" she asked gently.

"Yea. But that was before I started liking him again" Lisa frowned. Then smiled.

"Don't worry babe. Everything will work out just fine." she squeezed my shoulder reassuringly and went back to the kitchen.

What the hell am I moping for? It's not like Carter and I are going steady. He'll probably find some dumb blonde in whatever country he's going to and forget about me. He probably already had one already lined up judging from that phone call I listened in on the other night.

Maybe he'll find someone he really loves. Who knows? Shit happens.

What I need is a routine. I need to readjust to living on my own. Without Carter. Damn. I might actually miss the little fuck. Stop falling for him!

 Stop falling for him!

A/N

Hope you enjoyed. Vote and comment.