Chapter Nineteen

Johnathan

That fucktard!

I grabbed up a couple of changes of clothes shoving them inside my tote bag.

He hit me. That hurt more than anything he could have said to me. Once a dog, always a dog.

That was the thing that pushed me over the edge. I would have patiently waited for him. I would have tried to explain shit to him. I would have cleared that whole fiasco up. But he had to defer to that asshole from high school.

He knew how much his actions hurt me back then. How it still affects me now. That bastard. He could kiss this relationship goodbye. I'm done.

Heart broken again. By the same man twice. Lawd! Am I an idiot or what?

I called a cab and went to my safe place miles away.

Yep, running away I was.

Day one.

I was still mad as hell. When I picked up the morning papers I was even angrier.

  COUPLE'S SQUABBLE?

a collage of pictures of us, Carter slapping me, him clutching Carlene tightly, my broken, tear streaked face as i left the precinct. 

Then below that THE HAPPY COUPLE BEFORE:

a picture of Carter kissing me at his company event and another of us dancing at his sister's wedding. We looked so happy. I guess I was in love with him even then, judging by the starstruck look on my face.

Day two.

I felt like dying. I missed them. God did I. I missed the weird conversations I had with Carlene. I missed Carter and all his childish behaviors. I missed going to parks and the store. Carlene's little hand in mine as she swung our hands. I missed waking up with Carter.

Day three.

I had to talk myself out of running back to him multiple times.

That baboon. But I love him.

"Why so down sweetheart?" an old lady sat next to me on the bench.

"Nothing. I'm fine." I mumbled. The cool sea breeze blowing gently.

"I know that look. I know when I see a broken heart." she says taking my hand in hers and petting the back of it. "What happened darling?"

I let that lone tear fall. Out of all the people around this woman saw my pain.

"He hurt me. It was just a misunderstanding. But he never stopped to hear my side of the story. I still can't believe he thinks I would hurt that precious child." I said hoarsely. I told her everything. From high school till now. All the while she fussed over me like a mother hen. When I was finished she wiped my tears with her hand kerchief and smiled.

"Trust me, I know it hurts worst than a kick to the balls. Love isn't proud you know." she says looking me in the eyes. "Do you love him? If he showed up this instance, would you run to him?" she asked looking out at the crashing waves.

"In a heartbeat." I heard myself murmur. She looks back at me. A small smile on her lips.

Love isn't proud.

I smiled in return.

"Thank you." I whispered hugging her. It was just as much a shock to me as it was to her. I don't show emotion very often. It's always hidden behind my nasty words.

"Well, there you have it sweet boy." she gets up and turned to leave.

"Wait! What's your name?" I asked before she was completely out of ear shot.

"Lara Small of Small's Hardware." she says before disappearing between the tourists.

I raced to my house and grabbed my things.

Love isn't proud.

He was going to listen to me whether he wanted to or not.

I stopped at a florist and ordered a rose arrangement to be delivered to Lara with a little note thanking her for her time.

I was on a high. I was going to get my man. And daughter.

I stood on the pavement among the other persons waiting for the light to change to cross the road. I dug in my bag and turned on my cell when the light changed I crossed with everyone else. Opening my messages I read a couple from Lisa. She was planning on castrating Carter. I chuckled.

A loud blaring broke through my little bubble.

A loud bang as I felt my body go airborne. The pain didn't register until a thud and screaming filled my ears.

"Somebody call an ambulance!" was the last thing I heard. 

A/N

A/N

I am sorry..

I'm sorry...

shout out to

anapongia

zeebmo

ChristinaPorter

Bastet_Moon

SherylLongridgeDee

HekkoRules

voodoo_child

single_black_rose21

jesusa250408

europe_au

ThanatosUbi

Mz-Shy

Gabbiiie

DanielleWilson89