Chapter 8 - The Girlfriend

Isabelle P.O.V

Ryder was kind for once. But the time we spent in his room was nearly silent. Same as the car ride home. No goodbye either. Mom opened the door for me when I stepped up to the entrance. "Hey, Mama," I whisper.

"I want to talk to about it," she states with concern.

"He knows about it."

"I guess that when the boy drove up."

"Oh."

"What's his name?" she guides me to the living room.

I sat down and kicked my feet up on the glass coffee table, "Ryder. He's not really the greatest guy, but he talked to me about it."

"He say much?"

"No, but after his outburst today it was kind of hard to."

"What happened at school?"

I regurgitated the events at lunch. "He's just to himself. He was fun at first, but we didn't go into depth about the baby."

"What do you want to do with the baby?" She emphasized the first 'do'.

"I don't want it, but don't have much of a choice."

"I had you at a young age. That's when your father left me. And I wouldn't know where in the world I would be if you weren't born," she explains.

My mom was eighteen and just starting college. My father wasn't so thrilled about me. He left to the furthest college he could get into, so he can get a 'better' life. Well, that's the way my mom put it.

"Exactly you could have had a life that's beyond Matthew and me."

"But I wouldn't trade you and Matthew for the world. You can choose the right way. No matter what that kid will have a great loving family."

"Mom but what if I choose wrong? What if I give it to a bad family? Or I won't be a good mother? I tried really hard to not get myself into this. I worked hard and did my work. And Ryder."

"You have consequences. You need to be careful. Months to figure this out too."

"I rather you been mean and tell me what to do."

My mom's disappointment turned to empathy. The closest thing to a father was Matthew's dad. That was for five years before he decided not to be with my mom anymore. At age nine, Matthew would go visit his dad every weekend. So since then, it was just Mom, Matthew and me.

"You're a good kid. I wasn't expecting it at all. I guess parties are banned," she suggested.

"It would be a pleasure. I don't ever want to be dragged back to one."

"Well, this definitely ruined it."

Yes, it did. I wasn't going again anyway. Matthew came stomping down the stairs. "Dinner's done?"

"No," my mom got up to the kitchen.

"Uh," he sighed and went to his room.

My room brightened up. I plopped my backpack down on my desk chair. My jacket in my laundry basket. My bed was now my safe haven. And that's where I opened up skype to tell Noah. "Hey, Izzy," he greeted.

"Ready to hear me rant?" I warned and his eyes wide, "Well today was a total shit show."

"Sure, what happened?"

I set the laptop on the edge of my bed in preparation for my spiel. I lie down on my stomach and started kicking my feet. "Ryder found out. Oh, and Amity might as well have told the entire school," I complain. Further elaborated and exaggerated about the day.