Chapter 28 - The Engagement

Isabelle's POV

        "What?!" Ryder rushes to look out the window and sees his car being pulled out the hospital parking lot.

       Kind of a fucked up place to get towed.

       "Whatever, I guess I should've seen it coming. Anna, you don't mind if I stay on the couch for a few nights, do you?" He asks, as my mom peers over his shoulder to me to see if I'm okay with it. I nod.

       "Absolutely, stay as long as you need," My mom smiles, "But let's get out of here. I'm in desperate need of a shower."

       Ryder carries the car seat while my mom carries out my overnight bag and the diaper bag. Me, on the other hand, watched baby Evie sleep. What can I say, I just gave birth over 24 hours ago. I did enough work for a lifetime.

       Thank god my mom wasn't parked far. I was short of breath before we've even reached the car. My feet ache and my backache. Probably from the fall, but I didn't say much about it; All I want is to be home in my bed.

       I must admit, Evelyn is a god sent. I had to have done something right along the way. She's quiet, so quiet I check on her every few minutes; It's so suspiciously quiet that I get worried. I'm glad though, her quietness that is. It may not last long and its only been hours since she's been born, but I feel more confident about everything. The addition of everything on top of the whole being a teenage mother thing. 

My mom and Ryder struggle to place the car seat in. My mom telling (more or less yelling) Ryder how to do it properly. He'd laugh at her for trying and when it is his time to attempt it, he's irritable. "It can't be that hard," I said, and immediately the both of them stare at me.

Finally, once mom thought Ryder was skilled enough, I buckled her into the seat with her facing me.

         The whole way home I stared at her. I'd make sure she was alright. I'd hold her tiny hand. I couldn't get enough of her.

          As soon as we got home, Evelyn began crying, My mom went straight towards the shower, and I plopped down on the couch. The house looks similar to how it did before we got to the hospital. There were decorations everywhere. The food was gone, but all the clutter remained. Although it was the same house, it didn't feel that way.

          Ryder is bobbing up and down trying to get Evelyn to be quiet. I've never seen him so frazzled.

         "Here. Maybe she's hungry," I say, placing my hand on his arm.

         He nods and carefully sets her in my arms. "You don't mind if I take a nap, do you? That bed makes me feel like 60-year-old," he asks, putting his hands on his back and yawning.

       "M'hm, I've got it."

        "You sure?"

          I nod. I waited for Ryder to leave.

                                        ***********

       It was around 2 o'clock, I've changed Evelyn diaper and put her down for nap, and Amity showed up. She came with Noah. It was awkward at first. None of us knew what to say. I was exhausted and those two were acting weird.

         "So..." Amity says.

          "What?" I laugh.

         "Where is he?" She whispers loudly.

         Noah eyes search mine and I knew they were sincerely curious. "Ryder?" I ask, although I knew exactly what they wanted to know.

          "Yeah, what happened?"