Chapter 22 - The Baby

Isabelle P.O.V

        "Hello?" I ask. After I got home, my phone rang. The number was familiar, but I wasn't sure who it was. 

        "Izzy," a husky voice said on the other side of the phone. A voice I know too well. 

        I hung up. What was I supposed to say? Say I miss you. Say thank you for fucking calling me after months. I was mad. I didn't want to talk. I wanted to know what happened to him, sure, but I can't stand here and listen to another excuse. My child needs a father in her life.    

        Relieving myself of the air I didn't know I was holding in, I let out a long sigh. Then the phone rings again. It was him. I just stared at the number on my screen. Clicking that green button could answer all my dying questions. Instead, I stare at it, hoping it just disappears. It doesn't. The split second it does stop, I decide it's best I get ready for bed, sleep and deal with this in the morning. That I do. I remove the layers that restricted me from properly moving. I watch the clock move slowly and let the rings fill my ears. I tried so hard not to click it but after the fiftieth ring, I clicked that poisonous green button. 

       "Izzy please," he states. I say nothing. 

       "I'm sorry," he says again and I say nothing.

       I just wanted to understand. I can not let him do this to me anymore. I want to be able to rely on him and know he will not disappear. So I said nothing and listened.

        "Belle, I'm sorry. I miss you so much. Please talk to me," he pleads. "My parents wouldn't let me leave the house. I know you've heard these excuses before and it won't happen again. When I came to hang out, I wasn't supposed to. I was grounded. I promised I would've called. I even tried coming to see you. Please, Izzy, I'm begging you. I love you." 

        He stops for a moment. "You listening. I promise I'll be there. Y'know I can't wait to see our little girl. I can't wait to see you. I've made so many stupid mistakes. I know. I promise as long as I'm with you I won't make another. Please." 

        I hear soft sobs. I want to believe everything. I can't, but they seem to still get to me as tears began to stream down my face. Another thought came to mind. I pictured many years of him in and out of my baby's life and I didn't like it. That's what is going to happen if I say anything. I turned over and closed my eyes. I let him speak.

       "You have every right to be mad. Izzy, say anything, please. Yell at me, scream, just say something! If I could, I would come see you right now. Belle..." is the last thing I heard before I completely fell asleep. 

******************************************* 

        Ryder's P.O.V

        "Trust me," I said. 

        I hate that I ever let things get to this point. I hope she heard me. I can't even imagine what is going through her head. As long as the phone is going I talk and listen and wait. 

       Small breathy snores come through the phone into my dark room. It was definitely her. Although she would hear nothing I had to say or the fact she wouldn't say anything either, I didn't want to hang up. I miss everything about her. She'd nag and I can't believe I'm even going to say this, but I missed it. She'd roll her eyes, oh what I wouldn't do to see her roll those perfect emerald eyes. So I laid down and told her goodnight and dreamed of her imperfect perfection. 

************************************

         Isabelle's P.O.V