Chapter 32: Bad Company

*Lucas Harrow*

My phone vibrated in my pocket as I trudged up the stairs. I waited until I was in my room before I took out my phone. I glanced briefly at the screen to see who the call was from and stopped when I read unknown number. I hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether to answer or not. Unknown calls were always risky. Who would want to call me that didn't already have my number? After a few seconds, I tapped accept on the screen and held the phone to my ear. It could just be someone with a new number.

"Hello?" I asked cautiously, trying to sound confident at the same time.

"Lucas," a low, rough voice grunted over the line. My eyes widened in shock and my jaw clenched suddenly. How was he calling me? I had blocked his number.

"Dude, what do you want? How did you get hold of me?" I demanded in an angry, hushed tone, closing my bedroom door softly behind me.

I was answered with a long, deep laugh.

"Oh, come on," he said, "I'm not stupid. I knew you wouldn't answer if you knew it was me."

"What, so you stole a new phone?" I snarled.

"No," he said flatly, "I'm borrowing my house mate's."

"You have a house mate?" I asked warily.

"Several."

"Brill," I muttered. That meant he was living around here. And if his house mates were anything like he was, which they must be if they let him in...well, that was a recipe for trouble. "What do you want?"

"Oh, not much," he said casually. "Just checking up on your work, that's all."

"That's what this is about? You've already told me once, stop chasing me up."

"Just making sure you're doing your job. Time is ticking, you know."

"Yeah, b-but," I stuttered, "I don't think, maybe, that I can do it."

"What?" he said threateningly under his breath.

"I just don't think I can do what you're asking for," I said trying to sound confident. I silently thanked him then than he had called rather than coming to me face to face.

"You will do what I say, Lucas, and you know you will."

"You know," I said, clenching my jaw, "I could just tell anyone, at any time, that you're back here and living somewhere near," I threatened. There was a short silence which was followed by another sustained laugh.

"You think you're so clever, don't you Lucas? You think that you're so much smarter than me. But you know what? You would never tell anyone, because you're too scared, weak and stupid."

I swallowed, trying to think of a response.

"Just do it," he said. Then he hung up.

I threw my phone down onto my bed in a moment of complete blind anger. How could he manipulate me like this? How had it come to this? We used to be so close, but now I hardly knew him. None of us did; not after he had chosen his path to go down. Now, there was no way that I was going to allow myself to be dragged down the same one.

I had to make a decision.

*Natalie Coleman*

I had never felt so smug and proud before in my life. Maybe that was an exaggeration. Closing the door behind me, I shuffled around the front of the car to Jordan's side, since he hadn't bothered to come round to my side. I didn't mind though. I linked my arm through his and we made our way excitedly to Jack's house. Well, I was excited anyway. I'm sure that behind Jordan's probably intentioned dull façade and lack of enthusiasm, he was bursting with excitement and anticipation too.