26. Thanks but no.

Sleeping at Cameron's house turned out to be both a pleasant and useful solution for Sasha. Indeed, having half of a bed for herself and no one to keep her awake allowed Sasha to sleep for ten hours straight and to get all the rest she needed. At least she had mustered enough energy to work at full speed the next day, and even Bernadette noticed the change.

Her senior friend also pointed out that Sasha looked more radiant. This compliment in itself flattered Sasha as she knew the reason behind her happiness was linked to Cameron. However, Sasha didn't want to tell Bernadette since Cameron was not out and wanted to remain discreet concerning their relationship, thing that Sasha understood and respected.

Instead of letting Bernadette dig into her mysterious source of joy, Sasha started telling Bernadette about the appointment with the lawyer and the way her mother had acted towards her. Sasha was less enthusiastic to speak about this issue but it was either that or speaking about Cameron. At least she could hear Bernadette's wise opinion, although it was very similar to the lawyer's and her own.

Since it was Friday, Sasha was certain she'd be able to spend the night with Cameron again and maybe a great part of the weekend. Sasha thought that the least she could do to thank Cameron for her hospitality and kindness would be to invite her to the movies or pay for an activity that they'd do during the weekend. Anything that would reestablish the balance.

Sasha - Hey you

Cam - Think of the devil and she shall appear.
Cam - How's work?

Sasha - Almost over. That's why I'm texting. Coffee?

Cam - Sure. I'm home already but I can meet you wherever.

Sasha - I need to stop by my house first. I'll text you when I'm good to go?

Cam - Can't wait ❤

Every time Sasha knew she was meeting up with Cameron, she felt more enthusiastic than ever. If it were solely for her, she would spend her entire time in Cameron's company. She knew that she was once again growing attached to someone perhaps too quickly and too strongly, but she couldn't help it with Cameron. The brunette was such a genuine and big-hearted person on top of being physically beautiful that Sasha could only feel lucky and grateful for knowing her and sharing something unique with her.

On her way home, Sasha was surprised to notice how amazing it felt to be happy. This bubbly feeling in her stomach, these tingles in her chest, this lightness in her legs. And her smile. She was unable to stop smiling while thinking about Cameron and anticipating the next moment she'd feel her soft lips crashing on hers. For a while, Sasha was truly convinced that nothing would be able to ruin her joy and that the outing that was to follow would add up and bring her to euphoria.

That would have been leaving aside the scene that Sasha encountered when she stepped in her apartment. A scene that not only swept her delight away but also provoked in her a rage never seen before. She had felt furious, miserable, depressed, and all types of the most negative feelings. But she had never felt wrath. She could sense her veins pulsing, her heart threatening to explode, and a piercing sting in her chest that was making her want to burn the place down.

"Sasha, we were just wondering when you'd be coming back. That's quite a nice timing", Dr Schumer acknowledged her in an eager tone that Sasha didn't like.

"I see I'm not the only one with good time management", Sasha said disdainfully while glaring at her father with all her might.

From what she could remember, his face hadn't changed much. Except for his grizzled hair and wrinkled forehead, William's appearance was still the same as ten years ago. The only difference between then and now was the way Sasha was looking at him. He wasn't her heroic father who had taught her how to swim and ride a bike anymore. He was a traitor. A coward. A louse who'd abjectly abandoned his family because he was too weak and selfish to fulfil his responsibilities and honor his commitments. And Sasha hated him for that.