Reaping Day

Disclaimer: The ages are to be altered. For catching fire Finnick will be 19 instead of 24. And Y/N will be about 17ish. This part is set before Catching fire as a kind of backstory for your character. So at this point in time, Finnick will be 17 and Y/N 15. I am also planning to have Finnick and Annie's relationship be basically nothing. As I don't want to turn Annie into the stereotypical bitch or kill her off. Imma just place her as another victor. Ages aren't entirely accurate. Just be vibin. 

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Today was the reaping for the 73rd Hunger games. 

From the ages of twelve to eighteen our names would be written down and put in a glass jar, that some what resembles a fish bowl. 

It was mandatory for your name to be put in. When you turn twelve it only gets put in once. Although you can put it in more times if you wish to do so. I live in District four, which is one of the wealthier districts, and we are called 'carer tributes' meaning we are trained for this basically our whole lives. District one and two are the same. 

The other districts are not. The poorer ones normally put their names in the pool more times in order to receive more food for their family. But since we don't really need more food, some people do it in the hopes of being selected. 

I am not one of those people. So my name has been entered the mandatory amount of four. 

The person who would be selecting who would be entering the games is our escort. Each district gets it's own one. They would chose the individuals to go into the arena by picking a single name tag from the glass pot, and then announce to panem it's newest victim to the cruel games. The escort would then be by their sides to the moment they step upon the stage to the moment they enter the arena. 

And if they were so lucky, escort them back home. 

I stand in my hallway, fiddling with my fingers about to make my way to the central of District 4, where the reaping would be held. 

My family had left without me, this was my younger sister's first reaping. And she was very nervous. So, my grandmother had taken her on a quick stroll to try and calm her nerves before hand. And I just got left to make my own way towards the crowds.

I felt near the same as my sister. Just because I had been conditioned to kill, didn't mean I didn't fear being thrown into an arena where my survival would not be clear. 

I take in the aroma of my home, it smells pretty much the same as district four but with a hint of my grandmothers perfume that made me feel comforted. 

I try and brush my fears, I'll be back here in a couple of hours, I have nothing to worry about. 

I look through the kitchen window, as the hallway and kitchen were connected, and watched the waves crash against the shore. 

"Ready buttercup?"

I smile at the familiar nickname. 

It's silly, really. But I had been called that ever since I was little. When I was about six, we had gone on an outing with our families. Me, with my parents and my sister, who was only three at the time. And Finnick came with Mags. His parents were never around much even when they were alive. 

We had gone to one of our many fields for a little picnic, and I was infatuated with the flowers. The small yellow ones took my attention the most. They had been identified as buttercups, and the nickname stuck ever since. 

I turn around to face my best friend standing at the other end of my hallway. My front door wide open behind him. 

He has his usual sly smile on his face. I can't help but smile back at him. Although my stomach continues to twist and turn. I manage to not let it show.