75th hunger games .3

Beetee wants to inspect the lightning tree before he rigs it. 

Finnick said it was about nine in the morning, by the level of the sun. I never was much good at telling the time. 

We would have to leave our beach soon, anyway. So we pack up and head over to the beach that borders the jungle that contains the lightning tree, and head into the jungle. 

Beetee still isn't strong enough to hike up the hill by himself, so Peeta and Finnick take it in turns to carry him. 

Johanna takes the lead, with Katniss taking the rear. 

As we get nearer to the tree, Finnick suggests that Katniss should take the lead. 

"Katniss can hear the force field".

"Hear it?" Beetee questions. 

"Only with my reconstructed ear," Katniss tells him. 

"Then by all means, let Katniss go first," pausing to wipe the steam from his glasses. "Force fields are nothing to mess around with".

"Oh, trust me I know," Peeta responds, as we all recollect his last experience with one. 

The lightning tree is quick to be recognised as it towers above all the other trees. 

Katniss makes us all wait as she slowly makes her way up the slope. 

"Just stay below the lightning tree," she yells down to us. 

We each divide duties that need to be done. Finnick guards Beetee as he examines the tree, Johanna taps for water, Peeta and I gather nuts, and Katniss hunts nearby. 

Katniss returns with three dead tree rats, and sits down to clean her kills. 

She creates a line near the force field, reminding us to stand back. 

And then her, Peeta, and I sit down and cook some nuts and cubes of meat. 

Beetee still seems to be messing about with the tree. At one point he snaps off a piece of bark and throws it against the force field. It bounces straight back and lands on the ground, glowing. In a few moments, it returns to it's original colour. 

"Well, that explains a lot".

'Not really' is all I can think. 

Around this time, we hear clicks coming from the sector adjacent to us. This means it's evelen o'clock. 

I share a worried look with Finnick. 

"It not mechanical," Beetee tells us. 

"I'd guess insects," I say. 

"Maybe beetles," Katniss suggests.

"Something with pincers," Finnick adds. 

"We should get out of here anyway," Johanna announces. "There's less than an hour until the lightning starts".

We don't move very far. Only to the identical tree in the blood-rain forest. 

We sit down and have a make shift picnic. Sitting altogether, eating our jungle food, waiting for the lightning bolt at noon. 

Beetee asks Katniss to climb up into the trees, and she does so. 

The rest of us stay on the ground and wait for the lightning. I grab Finnick's hand in anticipation, and he intwines our fingers. 

We don't get to see it in all it's glory, but we can certainly hear it. 

Katniss soon scales back down, and reports her findings to Beetee. I wish I could've seen it, it sounds absolutely beautiful. And Beetee seems very pleased with the results.