75th Hunger Games .2

Peeta throws the sheath towards the ground and buries his knife into the monkeys back, stabbing repeatedly until it releases the jaw from it's victim. 

He kicks the rutt away, waiting for more. 

I stand with my spear at the ready. 

"Come on then! Come on!" Peeta yells, exhausted with rage. 

But something has happened to the monkey's, they begin to retreat as if they've had a whisper in their ear tell them 'that's enough'. 

"Get her," Katniss yells to Peeta. 

"We'll cover you," I add. 

Peeta gently picks up the morphling and carries her a few metres to the beach, whilst the rest of us stand with our weapons at the ready. 

But besides the corpses on the ground, the savages are gone. 

Peeta lays the morphling on the ground. Katniss cuts away at the material on her chest to assess the damage. 

A small bit of blood trickles from her wound, making it look way less deadly than it really is. 

I begin to slowly cry, I have no right to, but it hurts to see her like this. 

Finnick pulls me into a hug and slowly rubs my back, "Ssshhh, It's ok, it's ok".

After a minute or so, he begins to take me away, "we'll keep guard," he tells the others, allowing for them to have some privacy. 

We make our way back into where the attack just took place. 

It still remains isolated, we decide to go around and dislodge Katniss' arrows from the carcasses. 

As we do so, we hear a cannon go off. Finnick and I just share a saddened look, but don't say anything. 

Once we have gotten all of the arrows, we return back to the others. 

"Here," Finnick says as we drop them down next to Katniss, "we thought you might want these".

"Thanks," she says as she wades into the water ridding herself of the gore. 

She makes her way into the forest to gather some moss to clean the arrows. "Where did they go?" she asks as she looks at the empty opening that had once been decorated with orange fur. 

"We don't know exactly, the vine shifted and then they were gone," I tell Katniss. 

We stare at the jungle, exhausted and numb. 

The boys begin to scratch at their faces as I also begin to get the urge to do so, which is normally a sign of healing. 

"Don't scratch," I tell him. 

"It'll only bring infection," Katniss adds, "do you want to try the water again?"

We make our way back to the tree that Peeta had been tapping, Finnick and I stand guard as Katniss adjusts the spile in it, but no threats appear. 

We are soon to feed our thirst, and allow the water to pour over our itching bodies. We decide to fill some shells up and head back to the beach. 

"Why don't you get some rest, I'll watch for a while," Katniss offers. 

I think of protesting, but my eyelids differ with me. Nobody else seems to argue. 

Peeta lies down besides her as she sits up with her arrow at the ready. 

I decide to go and lie down not too far from them, as to be unprotected, but not too close as to invade what ever little privacy was to remain. 

Finnick is quick to lie down besides me, no words need to be spoken as I cuddle into him and fall asleep.