Chapter 22 || Evil ||

Charlotte slowly approached towards the bed where Elizabeth was sleeping. She had a calm look on her face while she slept soundlessly next to her baby girl, Tiana. Charlotte muttered under her breath,

"Sorry, your highness".

She was about to sear the dagger through her back when James held Charlotte's hand. She turned towards him, dropping the vase next to her. Elizabeth woke up due to the noise to see Charlotte.

"Run, Elizabeth!" James shouted.

Charlotte managed to free her hands from James and in an act of doing so, she stabbed James in the stomach. His blood blotted the white shirt he wore. Elizabeth saw that and screamed. Charlotte turned towards her and Elizabeth immediately picked her child and tried running out of the door when she looked at James.

"Run!" James shouted, holding the place in his stomach where he was bleeding.

Charlotte tried to go towards her but Elizabeth turned and ran out of the door. When Elizabeth turned, the edge of Charlotte's knife accidentally made a cut on Tiana's eyebrow. Elizabeth ran out of the palace, out of the kingdom, not knowing where to. She ended up running away from those evil, wicked people and saved her only child, fortunately. On the other hand, she cried, thinking of her husband who sacrificed his life to save her and their child.

***********

Everyone in the palace was fast asleep and did not hear any noise as the room was too far away from the other rooms. Elizabeth's maid, Emily too was present that day. She was given a very small room, in the same corridor as that of Elizabeth's room. She could hear the screaming and was woken up. She walked to check what happened when she saw a woman was running away from the room where James and Elizabeth were present. She could recognise it was Charlotte, the maid of Clarissa. She walked closer to the room to see drops of blood near the door and peeped in. She was bewildered when she looked into the room.

She saw James to the wall, wounded in the stomach. He had lost a considerable amount of blood by then. Emily ran towards him and said,

"Your majesty!"

She quickly helped him stand up and James said,

"It was Cla-Clarissa".

"Please don't speak now, sire".

She quickly helped the king to get onto the bed. She was searching for something she could dress his wound with when James, with a very weak voice, said,

"Can I please have a paper and a quill?"

"But-"

"Quick, Emily".

Emily saw that on the table, there was a book. She tore a page off and got a quill, with its tip dipped in a small inkpot. James started to write a letter and when he was done, he gave it to Emily and said,

"Give this to Elizabeth. She will be in my hideout".

"The one that is connected to the palace".

"Yes".

"But how can I leave you here, my lord?"

"I won't be able to survive. Please go before-"

James stopped speaking and lied on the chair, dead. She closed his eyes and took the letter. She ran through the corridor soundlessly and went to one of the exits. Luckily, there were no guards and she managed to escape out of the palace without anyone's notice.