[35 - butterfly; a demon's sin]

Standing at the brink of having his skin corroded into melted flesh, Soren thought of a few things.

For example, what was he even doing? Why was it that whenever he wanted an answer to something, the only person who could answer him had to make trouble first?

It made little sense.

"Soren, there may be other answers we can find. This is dangerous." warned Vendra worriedly, standing nearby with a slight frown on her beautiful features.

He didn't reply.

Brioc raised a brow. "He's distracted, huh?"

"I think..." said Alvara slowly. "...this is his resolution. The answer the Queen can give is something irresistible to him."

The teenager was, in fact, perfectly correct.

It was difficult to describe, and even harder to understand Soren's stubborn resolution. However, his strange, undying body had plagued him like a long illness he couldn't rid of.

Again, and again, and again.

Soren lived.

Even when he wanted to give up.

Now, in this new world with mysteries he couldn't begin to comprehend, there was a possibility of an answer. It seemed unreal, impossible.

For those reasons, did he stand in front of this deadly lake, despite the pain he knew would undoubtedly come.

The dark water rippled, its night colour deep and cloudy while it oozed the stench of death. There wasn't any transparency, as normal lakes would have, only the ominous promise of misfortune.

It was fitting for a place that existed in the Barren Kingdom.

"I'll commend your bravery, my dear visitor." remarked the Queen with a light smile as she trailed along behind in her grace. "However, I do not wish to be killed if you make a mistake. Do you want to reconsider?"

It differed from her provocations from earlier, from her directly exposing her ability. The Necromancer Queen was somebody who enjoyed mind games, pushing and pulling.

For Soren, it wouldn't work.

He ignored her and took a step forward.

The moment his feet skimmed across the rippling black water, a sizzling sound filled the air.

Tiny bubbles surrounded his feet as a corrosive pain echoed in the hollows of his bones. It hurt — it really did, but his face remained impassive except for the deepened frown at his lips.

Alvara couldn't bear watch, turning away with a wince.

Brioc glanced at her. "You should watch, Alvy."

She was so uncomfortable that she didn't comment on the nickname. "I'll pass, but thanks."

"Watch." Brioc's violet eyes stared at the shrinking figure sizzling in the water. "Renren is somebody who attracts trouble — if you stay with him, you can't look away."

Alvara bit her lip, shuffling uncomfortably, but she didn't turn back.

[You're a fool.]

The familiar voice echoed, and Soren's scowl deepened once more.

'I'm busy, don't bother me.'

[Even if you can die, it's not that fun.]

'Thank you for stating the obvious.'

Soren's body was now half submerged, in a half dead state. Occasionally, a bursting pain rushed at him, killing him at once. The deadly water was the only thing keeping afloat.