Chapter 35- The Rightful Owner

^^ SHANSHAN ^^

"Hm?" He blinked. "What did you say?" He asked again, thinking that he misunderstood the words he had just heard.

I gently took my hand away from him and repeated what I said. "I'm dying. I'm sure your parents won't let you marry a woman who can't live with you forever."

He furrowed his eyes in confusion. "You... what- you're... dying? H-how?"

I sighed. "I'm suffering from cancer, and I only have a few more days left before leaving," I quivered weakly, letting the painful truth slip out from my lips.

His mouth dropped with shock while he stood up. "Are you- are you serious?"

"Of course!" I let out a chuckle. "Why would I tell you something like this as a joke?"

Suddenly, the maid from a while ago knocked on the half-opened door. "Mr. Chairman, your parents are already waiting for you in the dining room."

Mark nodded to the maid and looked at me again. "We'll talk about this later," Mark stated before leading me out of the room.

I had lunch with Mark's family. Yesterday, I didn't get to meet his parents. They were kind and professional during our conversation, making me appreciate them. I just don't understand why they would agree to let their son marry me when they knew about my family background and when I exposed my dad in front of them two years ago.

Anyways, we arrived in front of a building where the funeral service for my father was being held. Photographers, journalists, and reporters already crowded the limousine before we could get off from it. I closed my hands into a fist anxiously, once again feeling myself in the limelight after disappearing for almost three years. Once again, I would be revealed to the world. But it is not what should bother me. I am here to pay tribute to my father, not to entertain the media.

We started to get out of the vehicle with Mark immediately protecting me from the chaotic crowd. The speedy lights from the cameras met my eyes while everyone tried to squeeze their way towards me.

They were yelling questions at me, hoping to receive an answer, but I ignored them, struggling to make our way towards the building while Mark and his guards blocked everyone for me.

"You stripped away from your status from the Lee family and neglected your family's business. Did you come back to reclaim your position in the company now that your father is dead?"

The question made me stop in my tracks while Mark paused to look at me. I turned around to face the person who asked and answered ironically. "No. I came to destroy it."

I gave a smirk and continued to walk. My statement left everyone confused, giving me a chance to enter the building smoothly. Upon entering, I got overwhelmed with the large number of people sitting inside the funeral hall. "They all came to mourn for my dad?"

"This way," Mark whispered and started to lead me in front. As we passed through the aisle, I could hear murmurs and felt eyes glued on me. Some even attempted to approach or greet me, but I maintained a cold behavior and pretended to not see anything.

I ignored everything and turned my attention towards the front, eventually spotting my stepmother, whose cry could be heard as she wept. My two stepbrothers were staring at me, Roger's expression showed grief, and his eyes were swollen from crying and staying up late. Meanwhile, Roald was throwing me a hateful look as I stood beside him and faced my father's golden coffin. Mark was separated from me. He chose a spot in front just enough for me to glance at him.

"My husbaaaaaand!" Monalyn suddenly wailed, startling everyone. "He's goooone!" She was crying nonstop while her closest friends comforted her.

"Is she just trying to show a fake play?" I snorted.