Chapter 12

Paula ordered Martini with an olive on a stick. Graciously slurping on her cocktail, she sat like a mademoiselle with her knees pressed tight and her long manicured fingers occasionally trailing the rim of the cocktail glass. When the waiter brought us our lunch, I didn't feel like eating in front of her, not when Paula was so deliberately ignoring my presence at all costs.

"Shall we get this over with? Samantha and I need to get back to Compton." Dorian said and shifted in his seat, then finished the remainder of the whisky.

Waving to the young waitress, he asked her to bring one more round of whisky. Raising by brow at him, I figured I'll need to pass on my well-earned glass of Chardonnay as that could only mean one thing - I'll be driving us both back home.

"Of course." Paula arched her back and finally turned to look at me with a fading smile across her face.

Perhaps it would have been a better idea if I left them both talk in private but I didn't want to be rude for Dorian. It was his idea for me to sit through this awkward meal and I had a hunch that it was only just a beginning.

"Santoro will eventually proceed with their case." Dorian spoke and pushed his untouched meal to the side, then placed a small folder in front of him on the table. "There is a chance that we will be able to appeal against the judge's decision but I doubt they'll take our settlement."

I vaguely listened to Dorian's speech, occasionally playing with my food. I've noticed he hasn't risen a single eyebrow towards Paula, who sat right next to me with her lips curved upwards in a snide smile.

"Why the serious face, love?" Her lips curved up in a wider smile that grew into a hoarse laughter.

Dorian wasn't able to reply to her comment. He fidgeted in his seat and turned over the page in the folder.

"Isn't the evidence enough to have the witnesses in our favour?" Paula then asked him in a low raspy voice and deliberately ran her long pointy tongue across the rim of the cocktail glass. Can she be any more provocative in front of him? It was also beyond my belief how skilfully she was able to ignore me.

"You know very well that it won't be enough. They need hard proof and your statement is nowhere near the evidence they'll need to prove your innocence."

Paula sighed and pouted her cherry red lips, "I knew I should have asked Jack for help."

Dorian finally raised his eyes at her with raging tension oozing between them. "You should have." He took a long sip of his whisky and frantically clicked the pen in his hand.

"Waiter!" Paula squealed waving her hand to the young man serving another table. "Could you bring me another Martini?"

"Yes, Miss. Just a minute." Waiter smiled but that didn't do the trick for the First-Lady-Like Paula.

"Excuse me!?" She stood up and strode up to the next table where a middle aged couple were placing their order.