Chapter 15

Author's Note.

This chapter highlights the end of the first half of this story. It is by no means the last chapter, many more will follow.

P.S. Play the song in the background, it'll set the perfect mood.

***

And here it was, my calm after the storm. With Ian and Dorian back home safely, I finally realised how important it is to appreciate the good in life. I would have never thought that a stranger would be so kind and caring. Jack and Dorian proved to be nothing less than two heroes, two saviours sent to me by a mere coincidence. Perhaps fate did exist and if so, I was grateful for everything those two men had to go through just to make sure I was protected at all costs. 

The exhaustion took the worst in me. At last, when the fear of Daniel was slowly fading into a bitter aftertaste, the strength abandoned my bones and left me numb with only one wish being that of a rest in the cold sheets of my bed. It felt like I could sleep for days on end. 

"I don't even know what to say to you all." I stared into Ian, Jack and Dorian who stood in front of me in the hallway, waiting for the silence to be broken. 

Ian looked pale as if a ghost just passed him by. Wearing a blanket over his bare skinny shoulders, he resembled a homeless, hungry man. Both Jack and Dorian looked tired beyond words - an undoubting sight of a startling victory. All for me. 

"A simple thanks would do." Dorian smiled and restlessly combed the fingers over his unruly dark hair. 

"That wouldn't cover the appreciation I have for all of you." I scanned all three of them then stepped closer to Ian and wrapped my hand around his cold waist. "Without your help and sacrifice, I'd be in a terrible place right now. Because of you, I can finally put the past behind me." 

Sentimentality was never my strongest trait. In fact, in the past, I didn't have anything to be sentimental about. The constant paranoia - fighting the demons and slaying my fears, was the routine I grew used to without the need to keep any of the good memories as a reminder who I was. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't. A terrible demon known as panic didn't want me to join the rest of the world and live for tomorrow. It wanted me drenched cold. 

But not any more

We all stood unable to mouth any words for several minutes with only a loud clock arrow ticking away at a far end of the hallway. Resting my head on Ian's shoulder, I gazed over Dorian first, then Jack. Both flashed an incredible amount of altruism and benevolence. Their strong features, mountain-like muscles proved to be just a thick-skinned wall surrounding the hearts of pure gold. I will never be able to express my gratitude. A tiny thought made its way down to my core just before they left us for the night. A feeling, so odd and unparalleled, came alight - both Jack and Dorian grew under my skin over the past couple of days and I was beginning to think I might fancy them beyond my own judgement. I should tell myself to focus and stop thinking about it, to pass it as an appreciative gesture but I didn't have enough strength to fight it off. 

I walked up to Dorian and pressed him into a tight hug, whispering a quiet thank you. He squeezed me back, carefully enveloping his hands around my waist as if I was a China doll he was afraid to break. With a hint of a smile, I turned at Jack and wrapped my arms around his torso. Inhaling deep, I felt my head start to spin with a musk that I didn't notice before when I cried my eyes out to his chest just moments ago. The scent, so distinct and heavy, made me hold my breath for a little longer. What was it about these two men and their curiously smart choice of fragrances? Two very different musks but equally hypnotising to the point I could almost drown in the thickness of the air. 

Jack's hand brushed my hair, avoiding the rough patch at the back of my head and pressed a small peck on my forehead. "Take care." He said hoarsely and walked out the door, waving for Dorian to join him. 

"Call us if you need anything." Dorian's face hinted a note of disappointment. 

That is when I realised - the cousins, best friends, will become their own worst enemies if I'll take my chances in any of them. It was obvious from my perspective, as well as theirs - the undeniable attraction was swirling thick in a whirlpool.

I was too weak to think otherwise.