Chapter 27

New York wasn't any different than the day I left this hell hole. Same traffic rush, crowds of pedestrians and clouds of invisible pollution swept me right in as soon we landed in a busy LaGuardia Airport.

Steadily holding his hand on a small of my back, Dorian guided me outside to catch a yellow cab whilst Jeanette hopped into her friend's car and disappeared into the traffic.

"Are you hungry?" He asked and helped me into the taxi.

I felt exhausted rather than hungry but a nibble of food wouldn't go to waste so I nodded with a tiny smile pressed on my lips.

Cocking my head back to the seat, I watched as thousands of lights flickered and danced through the window. All the memories, good and bad, swooshed right in with the familiar sight of the city. I bit and twisted my tongue in order to push aside all the foul thoughts that began to creep from all the corners of my brain - the memory of a night I was raped will not destroy my happiness. Not now, not ever again.

Dorian's sharp exhalation brought me back to him. He rested his hand on my lap and squeezed it just enough for me to wince aback.

"What is it?" I studied his suddenly pale complexion.

"I want you to enjoy this weekend even if it means I'll have to share your company with dozens of other people. Including Jack." His voice drawled in the roaring sound of the engine. "If it was my choice, I'd rather take you somewhere quieter for the weekend. Just the two of us." Dorian's gaze became weary and apologetic.

"We have all the time in the world to do that. I understand how important your family meetings are and frankly speaking, I'm glad to be a part of that from now on." I threw a short chuckle at Dorian to make him feel better but I realised it won't help to ease off his tension.

"You two lovers are here for pleasure of business?" The cab driver interrupted, eyeing us through the rearview mirror with a snide smirk across his lips.

My stomach churn with the word LOVERS and I wasn't sure whether it was panic that made my palms sweat or the idea of being someone's lover. Either way, I didn't like nosy people.

"Both." Dorian answered politely and shot a blank stare at the driver, presuming he's got the message to stay quiet for the rest of the drive to the hotel.

I plunged deeper and deeper into my seat, imagining the complexity of tomorrow. What if Dorian's family won't like me? I was afraid they'll think I'm too shy or too clumsy. After all, being in a room full of rich people frightened me to the back bone. I had no doubt they'll look down on me, perhaps even despise Dorian's choice of a date for the gathering.

"How about we order some room service?" I tried to cheer the atmosphere up as I wasn't the only one who was lost in a thought.

Dorian scratched his chin then lazily nodded his head. "Sounds like a plan."

"Thinking about it, I could actually eat a whole pig. I'm that hungry!"

A tiny lie would never cause any harm, especially when it made Dorian smile, with an inaudible laughter escaping his lungs.

"I would have a hard time believing you'd fit a pig down to your tiny stomach."

"Don't underestimate me, mister!" I frowned at him cheekily. "Do you want to bet?"

"Hell yeah!" He chuckled back at me, "we'll order a sizzling piggy for you to eat tonight. I'm counting on you, missy!"

We both laughed until my abs became tired. It was nice seeing him so cheerful even if he had a battle of five armies in his head. At least a tiny piece of his heart was now mine. I could feel it with my own racing pulse. I was beginning to learn how to love again and there couldn't have been a better teacher than Dorian King.

The hotel we've arrived to was a tall glass structure building with Radisson name hanging just above the spinning door entrance. It looked expensive and modern.

"We'll be staying at the top floor." Said Dorian with a proud grin on his face.

I looked up and admired the view for little longer, before Dorian's hand reached for my elbow to encourage me to step through the spinning doors.

Marble floors and big arched windows looked magnificent in a well-lit lobby. Whilst Dorian went to the reception desk to get the key, I absorbed the interior with a wide smile. In my entire life, I have stayed in half-a-dozen hotels and those were mostly cheap self-catering motels for short stays in-between road trips. Perhaps New York wasn't such a bad place after all.

Rolling my suitcase behind me, Dorian came to stand next to me, waving a white card key in front of my face. "The suite is ours for the night. And I've ordered a nice juicy pig for your late dinner." His laughter echoed in an otherwise quiet lobby.

"Oh..." I bit my bottom lip and looked down.

"Don't worry," Dorian giggled and leaned closer to me. "We'll share it."

His whisper to my ear covered my skin in tiny goosebumps. Blushing, I hid my face behind the thick brown locks and started walking to the elevator. Dorian had a particular gift to make my heart skip few beats a time. With his hoarse low voice and fresh peppermint and wood cologne, he was able to whack me off my tracks without further ado.

"On a serious note, I grabbed a menu from the foyer. They have a 24-hour room service. And I've already ordered a bottle of Krug, it should be in the suite when we arrive up." Dorian spoke as we both watched the elevator numbers slowly descend on a small digital screen just above the metal sliding doors.

"You didn't have to." I turned to look at him, "It's late and we have a busy day tomorrow."

"What's sleep when you're so close to me, Samantha."

The way he spelled my name, made my entire body quiver with unexpected anticipation.

"You're blushing." Dorian elbowed me softly, "I like it. Rouge tint suits you."

"If you don't stop throwing compliments at me, I might as well paint my face in red blush." I giggled bashfully.

The elevator finally arrived and I was hoping the compliments will stop as I was beginning to feel an awkward perspiration across my face and chest. What I didn't expect was an empty, dimmed confined space with nothing more than Dorian's intimidating gaze locked firmly onto me.

"Have I got something on my face?" I rubbed my cheek just in case and watched the doors slide shut.

"Yes!" He emitted in a whisper and cupped my face into his soft hands."My lips."