Chapter 30

Gregory drove us to a busy heart of Manhattan and pulled up by a tall glass structure with a modern Italian restaurant on the first floor. It was a gorgeous Saturday morning and bright sun was beaming off mirrored windows above our heads.

"Remember, I'm by your side." Dorian smiled at me before climbing out of the vehicle.

I thought I saw a hint of doubt in his face but dismissed it as my own anxiety.

Dorian extended his hand for me to hold on to as I carefully set my five-inch heels on the sidewalk. Taking a deep breath, I wrapped my arm around Dorian's and paraded next to him into a bright restaurant. I was having a heated debate in my head all the way to the restaurant.

'Will they like me? Will everything be ok?'

A young waiter jumped out of nowhere to greet us as soon as we stepped through the double glass doors.

"We're here to join Carter family for breakfast." Said Dorian. He then leaned forward and whispered in a lower voice, "My stepdad is Michael and Mother's name is Roberta. Jeanette and our stepbrother Stanley should be here too."

Dorian held his hand firmly pressed against the small of my back, making sure I felt safe in his presence. The overwhelming feeling deep inside my stomach grew into an icy lump in my throat. My hands began to shake but I tried my best no lose my cool. I kept repeating it'll all be over soon and we'll be flying back to California tomorrow evening. Until then, I had to keep my courageous smile plastered at all costs.

"Let me take you to the table. Carters are already waiting, Sir, Miss." The waiter flashed a rather robotic smile at both of us and led the way, effortlessly zigzagging past the tables further into the restaurant.

I could hardly keep up with Dorian's long strides in my extremely uncomfortable heels. I chose to wear a strapless knee-length sapphire satin dress to give a good first impression to Dorian's family even though I didn't feel quite myself in a formal attire. The last time I wore a dress this formal was on my graduation night. The night Dan raped me.

Shoving negative emotions aside, I flashed a wide smile as soon as we've arrived at the table. Dorian's stepfather Michael was the first to stand up and shake my hand, planting a short peck on my right cheek.

"Lovely to meet you, Miss Beales."

"Likewise, Sir. And please, call me Samantha." I felt my complexion burn bright.

Wearing an expensive dark grey suit, Michael looked as if the breakfast was more like a board meeting than a family gathering to him. Taller than Dorian, Michael stood proud as he shook his stepson's hand and gave him a firm pat on the shoulder.

"Ah, Samantha. You look just as pretty as Dorian has described you." Roberta's delicate fingers wrapped around my hand followed by a soft peck on my cheek. Her blonde hair was beautifully curled into thick waves and it bounced graciously as she sat back to her chair.

"Thank you." I shied away, hiding my now burning cheeks under locks of hair.

Petite and elegant, Mrs Carter looked extremely classy and I could hardly believe what this woman had to go through in her past. Dorian hasn't shared much about his childhood but I knew he was abused by his father and Roberta had to make life-changing decisions to escape the terrors of her ex-husband.

"Sam!" Jeanette jumped and wrapped her hands around me. She was a sparkle of the family, always happy and content in her skin. You'd have to try really hard not to like her cheerful attitude.

Hugging back Dorian's sister, I've noticed a young man sitting at the table. He must be Stanley, the stepbrother. As rude as he couldn't have been, Stanley didn't even raise an eyebrow towards where we stood.