28- Secrets

It wasn't long before the narrow table underneath the TV was cluttered with flowers

           It wasn't long before the narrow table underneath the TV was cluttered with flowers. Get well cards and balloons wrapped around expensive bottles of liquor. It was tacky as it could possibly be but the entire scene it self was purely Ellis. As far as our business affairs were approached Ellis was the people person, he made the love happen. I was the brain, I connected the dots, secured deals and kept our hands clean.

But at the end of the day I was a husband, a father, son, a nephew and a brother.

I protected my family.

Looking at Ellis's weakened state I blamed myself.

There weren't any leads to how it even happened, it attacked his respiratory system like a violent virus. But it happened too quickly and his symptoms were too severe. It sounded like poison but the doctor assured me that it wasn't. Ellis's blood sample did show some impurities like liquor and a small amount of cocaine. He obviously hadn't fully stopped using like the elaborate tale of rehabilitation he gave Monica. Besides that there was nothing fatal. It didn't make any sense. Something was in Ellis and even on the way out it did damage.

Carefully but stiffly Damien and Zeus held onto Ellis as they guided him to the wheelchair.

" I can walk" he barked impatiently, snatching his sleeve from Damien. Just then his legs buckled. Both Damien and Zeus pulled him back up to his feet. Ellis was well enough to leave, but not enough to walk. Whatever unknown substance that flooded Ellis's body weakened him drastically. It would have killed him if he didn't get to a doctor fast.

" You need to be in a wheelchair until you get your strength back" Monica spoke softly, she was distraught, her eyes puffy and her lips dry. This was the closest Ellis ever came to death and the whole had Monica shaken.

She really did love him.

Dropping into the stiff chair Ellis glared back at me.

Like I was to blame.

I didn't bother to even tilt my head as I gazed down at Ellis as Killian wheeled him out of the room

" Get that look off your face, I didn't poison you and if I did, you wouldn't be alive. So smile"

Ellis scoffed at the notion and Monice tensed.

" Oh yeah, I'm real happy to feel so nauseous that I can hardly walk" his tone dripped with sarcasm

" You're alive be grateful, the doctor said after a few days you'll back to normal'

" Normal?" Ellis scoffed incredulously. Shaking his head is was obvious that Ellis was getting at something but the fact that he wasn't saying what it was only caused my patience to dwindle.

" Could you please not start?" she sighed sadly gazing back at Ellis as we stepped onto the elevator.

" My life was threatened and you want me to just not talk about it?" he challenged with a glance so cold that I felt attacked.