C93

“Other bugs?” Shu Shuishui pondered earnestly for a moment. “Do grasshoppers count?”

Da Bai’s face darkened, clearly not expecting that Shu Shuishui would actually have other bugs in mind. “How many?”

Shu Shuishui was honest. “Currently, not many.”

“Currently?” Da Bai’s gaze grew increasingly dangerous. As a bookworm who had never left the study since his inception, Da Bai’s deepest memories were probably of gaining consciousness and hiding within the pages, secretly listening to the comings and goings of people in the study, as well as the exchanges, discussions, and planning between Dreams and that figure. He listened to them composing books, planning their next journey, discussing where the best spiritual fruits were, and where the aquatic products were abundant.

Until one day, still idly rolling around in a book, Da Bai suddenly found himself being lifted. He slightly panicked, carefully shrinking himself within the seams of the pages.

Page by page, as if someone were searching for information. In the end, Da Bai felt a bright light before him, the space widening, and even his breathing became smoother. At the same time, the person’s motion of flipping through the book also came to a halt.

Da Bai raised his head, struggling to open his small eyes, and saw the person above clearly.

It was someone who seemed as serene as a gentle breeze, the area between their brows and eyes seemingly expressing unbounded freedom. However, at this moment, that person was looking at Da Bai in astonishment, then reached out a finger and lightly poked his body.

Da Bai squirmed a little, then used his almost-invisible short hands to touch the person’s finger.

The person’s eyes brightened even more, and then they turned their head to shout excitedly to the side, “Lan Lan, Lan Lan, Lan Lan, come and see! We have a son!”

A stumble sounded from the side, as if someone almost fell. Soon, the sound of footsteps followed, and a person dressed in a pure white robe with indigo-blue accents appeared in Da Bai’s line of sight. This person seemed taller, with a slightly broader build, and their gaze carried a touch of aloofness. They spoke with a hint of condescension, “So ugly? Impossible.”

At that time, Da Bai didn’t quite understand the boundary between beauty and ugliness, but he sensed the disdain and grievances. He buried their head in the seams of the pages.

A finger lightly tapped his tail tip from behind, and Da Bai pulled his head out of the pages, turning to see a smiling face as radiant as a starry river. The gentleness in their eyes was softer than the paper beneath them. “Lan Lan’s eyesight isn’t great, this is clearly very cute. Indeed, this bookworm bred in my study, chubby and white, suits my taste well!”

The person referred to as Lan Lan beside them seemed a bit helpless. “Hmm, it does indeed suit your taste.”

Da Bai’s little head swung back and forth between the two people, then lifted his head proudly in response to the affirmation. Yet, at that time, he didn’t understand that ‘suiting one’s taste’ was simply a matter of preference.

The following days were the happiest in Da Bai’s life, and indeed, in the next nine thousand years. He woke up surrounded by the fragrance of books each day, and a person greeted him cheerfully. “Good morning, little cutie. You look even rounder today, how wonderful.”

Although Da Bai couldn’t speak, he responded happily by waving his short little hands toward the person.

Incense burners often burned in the ‘Li Dream Study’, with fragrant orchids emitting a light, subtle scent that was refreshing to both body and mind. Amidst this fragrant atmosphere, what brought the most joy to Da Bai was listening to the man who referred to himself as “daddy” holding a book and using a refined yet unrestrained voice to tell stories. It was as if, through his narration, those flat words instantly came to life, brimming with vitality.