𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚊𝚐𝚎?

Vihanaa

It was a typical day, and it's already been a month or two of that incident yet whenever I had a moment without work, thoughts of him crept into my mind

It was a typical day, and it's already been a month or two of that incident yet whenever I had a moment without work, thoughts of him crept into my mind. I believe his handsomeness seems to be the puzzling magnet that draws me in.

Lost in thoughts of him again, I was suddenly jolted by a message. To my surprise, it was from my mother - a rare occurrence. The last time she texted was about my brother visiting our grandparents, asking me to convince him to return early. That message made me wonder if she had finally recognized that I, too, was her child. But I was Wrong.

I had learned to keep my expectations low. She can never accept me; she will never change. The deep-rooted traditional beliefs of boys over girls seem ingrained in her. Her message was likely driven by her own motives and benefits.

I opened her message, and it read, "Come home, it's urgent." Home? It was never my home. Not even my house.

I wondered what kind of work could be so urgent that required my immediate presence. When I inquired about the urgency, she responded in a rude manner, stating, "I told you to come, just do that."

Sighing, I simply replied with an "Okay." Her next message instructed me to come by tomorrow. Clearly, she disregarded whether I had work or not. It seemed she expected compliance regardless. Unpleasant as it is to admit, she seemed to be a dominant force.

......

Standing in front of my parents' house, I couldn't help but notice the dryness. Typically, a daughter returning home brings joy, but in my case, it was the opposite. I had no desire to be here, but if my mom insisted, I had to comply. While she can't be defined as abusive but whenever she gets angry or furious, things doesn't remain the same.

I still vividly recall the time when my dad opposed my pursuit of education. Defying his wishes triggered an unexpected fury in my mother, and she lashed out, leaving a noticeable mark with a wooden stick. It struck me as ironic since she lacked formal education, while my dad, who had an education, still harbored discriminatory beliefs.

In that moment, when my mom resorted to violence, my expectation that my dad would intervene and stop her was shattered. Instead, he did the opposite - he encouraged her in the beating session. It was a stark realization that even the one with education could endorse such actions, deepening the sense of discrimination within our home.

Upon seeing the marks, my grandparents swiftly intervened, urging me to live with them. They didn't told them that they saw the marks because for some reason I think my grandparents are also quite afraid of my father. Initially resistant, my parents eventually yielded as my grandparents insisted, acknowledging the need for assistance in their old age.

I rang the bell and the door cracked open by one of the worker who was on her 40s. She welcomed me with a warm smile and I returned it. She is way better than my parents. And sometimes my mom to be her.

Nobody knows the real reason why I don't live here. Everyone think I went to grandparents house to help them with daily chorus.

Worker: " Ms. Vihanaa, Your parents have been expecting you. They're in the living room. I'm sure they'll be happy to see you here after a long time."

Happy? It's not even on their dictionary if I'm around. I faked a smile and entered the house.

Despite the familiar faces and warm welcome, the environment felt suffocating, and an overwhelming desire to return to my apartment back in Mumbai lingered within me.

Vihanaa: "Mom, dad, I'm here as you asked. What's the urgency?"

I sat on the opposite direction of them and I had no time to waste to greet them. And even if I will greet them I know I won't be getting it back.

Mom: "Finally you've decided to grace us with your presence, huh?" She said it quite sarcastically which I despise. It was my father turn to speak.

Dad: "Your mother asked you to come. You should be grateful." I wanted to say it on his face how much I hated coming here. I was far away from being grateful. I needed to drag myself to be here. They should be grateful I came here as they asked even after all this things instead of ignoring their words.

Vihanaa: "I'm here, aren't I? What's the matter?" Hearing me dad continued.

Dad: "Let's cut straight to the point. Mr. Verma, our business partner, has interest on having you as their daughter-in-law. Its a good opportunity for the family."

Mr. Verma? I know that person. He's a total jerk and a womanizer, with a history of dating and sex scandals. I remember once I fought a case involving him once, but it abruptly ended when my client tragically took their own life. I have strong suspicions that he was behind her suicide.

As for his son, he's a chip off the old block. He made advances toward me, but I've always kept my distance. If I marry him, I'm certain I'll become nothing more than his puppet if this marriage happens.

On the midst of our talks about my marriage with Verma son , why on earth am I still fixated on Ayaan Sharma? It's like I've gone completely mad, letting thoughts of him invade even the chaos of this situation with my parents.

Vihanaa: "You can't just decide my life like that! I won't marry someone I barely know."

Mom: "It's for the family's benefit, Vihanaa. Either you want this marriage or not you're doing it." Something flashes in her eyes. Same like the day she raised her hands and left a mark on me. So I refused to look in her way.

Dad: "Mr. Verma's family is reputable, and it will strengthen our business ties. They will be coming tomorrow to see you."

Of course it is for their own family benefit. They have a son of which they think is more worthy of being their child. And I remember Mr. Verma having a daughter almost my brother age. Why can't they just marry him to her and strengthen their business ties.

I kept silent because I was hell scared of mom eyes. Thinking she will beat me like that again. I decided that I will be seated on the meeting tomorrow with Verma's but I will make sure they won't see me on the wedding day taking vows.

I will run away I know they won't forgive me and curse me to death. I don't want their forgiveness nor I will ever see their face. I won't risk my life marrying Verma family. I will go far away where no one will know me even if it will cost me my life.

Dad: "If nothing else I'm leaving for work. I ask your presence here tomorrow."