𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝙲𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚕

Vihanaa

The day seems to drag on endlessly, especially for me

The day seems to drag on endlessly, especially for me. My room was in the corner of the house. Not big like my brother. I retreated to my room, untouched by any renovation, just covered in layers of dust. It's still designated as my room, not converted into a guest room, and I noticed some of my teenage clothes left untouched. At least they didn't bother discarding them.

As I entered, a flood of memories overwhelmed me - memories of tears, fears, and the weight of my past. Reflecting on my life before 18, it's a narrative painted with fear and sadness.

As a new day begins, my mom handed me a pair of Kurtas to wear for today's meeting. However, the idea of dolling up and making myself look presentable in front of them holds little interest for me.

Yesterday, my brother was absent from dinner, and when I inquired, a worker informed me that he was on a business trip and would return today. I remained in my room today, unaware of his arrival. While we don't share the strongest or closest bond, we do have a level of respect for each other. Growing up in this family, I've come to realize that he doesn't hold the discriminatory beliefs towards girls that our parents do.

As I was about to change into the kurta my mom provided, a knock on my door interrupted me. It was barely 9, and the Vermas were scheduled to arrive at 10. Opening the door, I found my mom and dad standing there. Their expressions hinted at something amiss, though I couldn't grasp the full extent.

Mom: "Vihanaa, we need to talk."

Dad: "Sit down, it's important."

Curiosity mingled with apprehension as I took a seat. Their somber expressions intensified the mystery.

Mom: "Mr. Verma and his son won't be coming today. There's been a change in plans."

Vihanaa: "Change in plans? What happened?"
I don't care what happened they couldn't make it today but I was far more happier than ever.

Dad: "It seems there's an issue in their business. Something significant."

Vihanaa: "So, the marriage proposal is on hold?"

Mom: "No, it's more than that. The business is facing a crisis. We were relying on this alliance for our benefit, but now..."

Dad: "We need to reconsider our strategy."

The revelation left me in a strange feel of relief. I was happy atleast I didn't had to meet that jerk of a family today. But I don't know till when this marriage thingy is on hold. If they want they could find another alliance which can make them profit and marry me off.

As we gathered for dinner, my brother's unexpected presence added an warmth to the atmosphere. However, the real disruption came when my dad uttered words that felt like a detonation, leaving a profound impact on me.