𝙲𝚛𝚊𝚣𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚑𝚎𝚛

Vihanna

With all the family members gone, Ayaan and I found ourselves alone in his car. Ayaan's mom invited me for dinner. My parents were also supposed to come, but they have other plans. They initially checked into a hotel, but upon learning about Ayaan's wedding, their relatives from New Delhi extended a warm invitation for them to stay. Now, all the wedding festivities are set to unfold under their roof.

When he replied to my mom, defending a matter in a way no one else had ever done, he carved a small corner for himself in my heart. He engages in such gestures, enveloping me in his arms, standing up for me, and graciously opening the door to my car.

We didn't get engaged in any conversation from the shopping mall to his relative house. He's not much of a talker, and I'm not one to initiate conversations either. It creates a bit of a silent standoff, but it is what it is.

I may excel in the courtroom, skillfully navigating legal battles, but when it comes to initiating conversations, I find myself less adept. There's a certain finesse in arguments that I haven't quite mastered in casual dialogue.

With a subtle yet graceful gesture, he opens the door, inviting me into the cool and gentle breeze of night outside of the vehicle. It's a simple act, but in that moment, there's a quiet exchange of consideration and care that lingers in the air.

In a hushed tone, I expressed my gratitude with a quiet "thank you." He, in response, guided me towards the entrance of the house with a reassuring presence.

I exchanged respectful greetings with the elders before settling comfortably in the living room. His extended family gathered here, with cousins, siblings, grandmother, aunts, and uncles all in attendance, creating a lively and familial atmosphere.

Gradually, everyone dispersed to their respective rooms or elsewhere, and Ayaan also excused himself, mentioning he needed to freshen up. At that juncture, only his grandmother and I remained in the living room, the quietude settling in.

I don't want to be misunderstood, but there's always been a certain unease in her presence for me. There's a palpable strength about her, a commanding presence that exudes dominance, making me feel a bit uneasy.

She started her conversation with me saying, "While this marriage may have been presented to you initially as a business arrangement, I can assure you it goes beyond that. and If you believe that considering this as a business marriage means you're excused from being a good daughter-in-law, you're completely mistaken."

Before I could respond, she spoke again, bringing my response to a halt.

"Your marriage might be next week with my grandson. Par Mene tumko abhi bahu k rup me swikara nahi hai. Tumhe ehesas hua hey ya nahii, ki iss gharki bahu job nahi karti, tumhari hone wale sas ko hi dekhlo, wohh koi bhi job nahi karti. Wohh ghar samhalti hai. So, i expect you don't work as well. "