Chapter 14

The voice from behind startled me. My heart was beating fast, like it was gonna break all the walls today and was ready to come out of its cage.

Okay breath Emma! Chanting this in my head I slowly turned around. My hands were still on my chest to calm down my restless heart. I was not doing something wrong. Right?
As I turned around, my blurry eyes caught the glimpse of the owner of the voice.

Jenna!

A sigh of relief escaped from my lips. I gave out a breath I was holding for a long time. I don't know why I was even this much afraid but it felt like, I was doing something wrong.
"Emily what are you doing in Zack's wardrobe?"
Jenna asked me with a stern face. Her arms were crossed above her chest.
"Um I had to iron his suit for tomorrow. I was just looking for his clothes." Why am I even nervous about this, its not like I'm afraid of her!
She gave me a disappointed look and shook his head.
"Emily I do not expect this from you. You should not be going through his personal things. I don't want this kind of behaviour next time. Am I clear?" I wasn't expecting this much scolding. Jeez!

Although I found it extremely weird, a summer dress in Zack's wardrobe. 
For God's sake! He is the only Dick head person I knew but still ignoring that I nodded my head.

"Yes Jenna!"

I couldn't look up from my shoes. I heard her moving from where she was standing and came in my direction. She walked right past me and closed the doors of wardrobe. A sound of click from behind me was enough proof for me to know that she had locked the wardrobe.

"Here take this! This is one of my favorite suits. I'm sure my boy will look extremely good in this." I looked up as I saw her fingers caressing the grey coat. A meaningful smile was spread over her face. I knew she was deep in her thoughts , probably remembering something from Zack's childhood but I decided to keep quiet.
I wish I also had a mother who could remember and also smile like this on my childish mistakes. I wish!

...............................................................

20 days! Only 10 days were left. What will I do? What will happen after I'm done here? Is this the revenge I've been waiting for too long? Then why I'm not feeling too much happy? These were the thoughts in my head on 20th day here as I was cleaning a beautiful painting.

It was almost 9:45 and I was ready for sleep but whatsoever decided to check one last time on Zack. I opened the door of his penthouse with the help of a duplicate keys given to me by Jenna.
As I entered, I was met with the complete darkness. It was never this much dark here before , atleast I've never seen this much darkness in here. As i moved a little further in the corridor, the view of the TV launch came into view. He was sitting on a comfortable sofa, sipping from the coffee, probably the one that I made him half an hour ago. The curtain from the huge glass window were moved aside. As we were on the top floor the view of whole city could be seen.

Beautiful!

The flickering lights of the other buildings coming through the window, faintly illuminated the room. Everything could be seen from up here. It was like watching a whole new world.
The faint sound of busy road could be heard.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" The voice of Zack brought me back to the reality.
"Do you enjoy this view often?" I asked as I took a seat beside Zack on a sofa.
"Nope! Only whenever I'm feeling lonely." Zack said as he took another sip from his coffee.

"Oh you are feeling lonely, even if you have a mother like Jenna. You don't even know how lucky you are." I couldn't control my anger and said what was in my heart.

He looked towards me and gave me a irritated look. "I'm a very unpredictable person Emily. I can't control my emotions and sometimes I myself can't  notice when I'm feeling lonely and sad, actually none of us can control our emotions." He was right. I couldn't argue with that.

"What is making you sad?" I looked straight through the the window, noticing the people as they looked so tiny from here.
"My wife." I was not expecting that.
"They say i killed her. Her parents believed I killed her." He gave out a humorless laugh at the end as he looked into his now empty cup.
"And what about you? What do you believe?" I don't know where it came from but I just asked anyway.
I knew he was looking at me as I could feel his gaze burning holes on the side of my head. I tried to stay hard but the curiosity won over me and I had to look on my side. He was looking at me with a sweet smile?

I didn't knew that this man could even smile like that. "What?" I asked him confused at his sudden mood change.
"Nothing... You are just like her so much."  I felt a sudden heat crawled up on my cheek and I looked down at my hands. He turned his eyes back towards the window. "And the answer to your question is that yeah maybe I'm the reason she is dead. Yeah certainly its my fault." Although his lips were stretched in smile, I knew how much bitter it was. He spoke with such pain that anyone could guess what he was going through. He really loved his wife then.

I didn't felt like saying anything and just kept my eyes on the view in front of my eyes. I thought he wouldn't say anything but once again his voice cut through silence.

"Look all those people, all having different stories. Sometimes I think how it would be to live an ordinary life without any regrets, just like them, without any kind of stress, a life full of hopes." An empty smile was still on his face. Today he poured his heart out to me. He was just like me in so many ways.

"From where did you learnt this? I mean observing the city in such a way whereas it would probably be boring for some people." I asked him as he tilted his head to the side to observe me.

"Yeah boring for people who are too busy for noticing such happiness in these little things." He said still looking at me with a frown. Why are you looking at me so much? Just look away!
"And yeah I learned it from someone special." Here we go again.

A strand of hair escaped my ponytail and fell over my face. I moved my hand up to settle it but before I could do so another hand reached for the rescue.

Zack!

He gently picked the strand of hair and tucked it behind my ear. I thought he would pull his hand away but his thumb gently caressed my cheek. I never saw this side of him. So sweet, so gentle. Is this the side of him I fell for?
I looked into his eyes as they were boring into me. I tried to read his eyes but couldn't as I was always too dumb to judge people.

"Can you help me to reach my room? I can't walk." He stated as he pulled his hand away. I felt the emptiness on my left cheek but still masked my face to show any kind of disappointment.
"Yeah sure!" I bend down a little as Zack hung over his arms on my shoulder. His legs could work enough to let him stand. He let out a growl of pain as he pushed his legs. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm good. Just keep going please!" Only because you are saying please!
As we reached his bedroom, I helped him to lay on the bed in a comfortable position. "There you go." I said once he was laid down perfectly.
"Emily thanks for taking care of me and giving me such a good company." Zack said as I reached the door and held the knob. "Thank you." Well what else could I say?
"But that doesnt mean I like you. You are still an irritating human being for me." Zack smirked at me as he felt proud of what he said to me.
And there's the Zack which I knew!
"Good night sir." I closed the door behind me with a smile which I failed to hide.

That night I slept peacefully and with a smile but could never guess the bad news following day was bringing for me.

And the confusing thing is that I didn't even knew if to be happy or sad about it.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Author's note: So people here's the chapter. I'm gonna end this story soon. So stay active. Also if you like this chapter then please do vote and comment. Enjoy!✌️