Chapter 15

According to my daily routine, I completed all my work before Zack could wake up. I ironed his clothes, dusted the entire penthouse and made a perfect breakfast for him. As usual my hands stopped by themselves as I was gonna add the poison pill from the last ten remaining. I blinked to keep my eyes in focus. Why can't I just do it without any regrets? Why always I have to think twice before doing it? Im here for this.

Like always pushing these thoughts away, I added the pill and let it float in coffee. As it disappeared in the cup, I decorated his breakfast in a dish and now waited for his call.

That's awkward. He usually wake up till now.

It was too late now and it started to bug. Without even noticing what I was doing, I found myself walking to the Zack's bedroom door. Like always I knocked 3 times but this time there came no reply. I know I was being way too dramatic but now I was really worried. Without waiting for permission, I pushed the door open and walked inside. First relief made its way to my face when I saw Zack lying on the bed but was soon overwhelmed by distraught when I saw that sure he was there on his bed, but was not moving at all.

"Z-Zack?" I tried not to stutter but failed miserably. I came a little closer to him and put my hand on his shoulder. I jerked his shoulder up and down but no movement at all. The strange fear consumed me as I called for help.

For the next few hours I don't even know what happened. I was just so shocked. Jenna, Anthony and even Maria was here, all looking very depressed. Suddenly the door of Zack's bedroom opened and the same doctor as we've met that day came out. I soon learned his name was Dr Phil. He gave out a loud sigh like they do in dramas when someone's going to die.

Was he really dead? Those pills were meant to kill him in 30 day? I will kill Cam if it were otherwise. Like all the other times, my mind started to make up its conclusions.

"Doctor what happened to my baby?" Jenna asked furiously. The tears were rolling out of her eyes. Doctor couldn't meet her eyes as he was looking everywhere but our eyes.

"Jenna we can't save him now!" At last the doctor spoke and it felt like someone had just pushed a knife through my heart. I had to hold the side of a desk to keep myself stand steady. Jenna didn't spoke at first but then her eyes became stony. "Is he dead?"
Jenna spoke in the voice I thought I would never hear. It was so stern that even I was afraid what was going to happen next.

"No!" Doctor finally said and it felt like loads of burden was lifted up my shoulders. Suddenly Jenna burst in tears. Her stern face was now changed into something I was used to. Maria ran towards her and held her strongly. I was frozen in my place .

"Then what are you trying to say doctor? We are really trying to figure it out here." Anthony said as he was frustrated by the situation. Giving out sigh one last time, doctor looked up in our eyes and said something which I wish I could never hear but still wanted to hear it for a long time.

This time doctor held up his head high and spoke up firmly, "What I'm trying to say is that Zack's red blood cells has been producing some kind of poison which has effected him very badly. I gave some medicine to his caretaker Emily-" he pointed towards me, "but I knew from the start that it won't work and it didn't. I wanted to give you guys some hope but apparently things always don't go our way. He can't be saved now. I'm sorry but he has only 10 days left now.... Make it worth for him."
As doctor finished his little speech, the room filled with dreaded silence. It was too quite that even I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears. After a pregnant pause which seemed like eternity, Jenna lost her control and fall unconscious. She was lucky enough that Anthony was standing right beside her and before she could touch the ground, he held her tightly.

I was too lost to know what was going around me. Why it is feeling like I'm cutting my heart in two? Why my chest is aching with pain? Why this thing for which I waited my whole life is feeling so wrong?

Jenna was brought to her room and was taken care of. On the other hand I was sitting on the chair beside Zack's bed. He looked so much older. His skin was paler, his lips lost the pink colour they owned in past. The beauty he once held was now gone. He already looked like a dead person. I know I should be feeling happy at this but somehow my heart managed to feel pain for him. I don't know what's happening to me. Right now I want to stop all this and throw the poison away and go with Zack, somewhere faraway from here. But I managed to make my heart understand the situation I was in.

I looked at Zack as he was sleeping peacefully, slowly breathing in and out.
I know it's creepy to watch people sleeping but I couldn't control myself. He looked so innocent while sleeping. I was ready to pull out my hand in order to touch his hair but a knock on the door stopped me to do so. I stood up from the chair and walked towards the door.
As I opened the door, I was surprised to see Anthony standing there.

"What are-" before I could complete my sentence Anthony cut me off.

"I wanna talk to you Emily!" At first I was shocked to hear this request but nodded anyways as curiosity was winning over me. I simply gave him a small node and closed the door behind me in the process of stepping outside.

"What do you wanna say?" At first he didn't looked up but when he did, his eyes held something that sent shivers down my whole body. I knew that look, that evil look but I just can't remember when and where did I saw that. Before I could say anything , he tightly took my hands in his palms and locked his fingers around mine. It was so tight that I couldn't free my hands from him. Panic drawn upon me.

"Emily I know you don't like me that much as my brother but still I will give you anything you demand, the jewels and every desire of yours will be fulfilled,  just come with me. He always gets the one which I want. Years ago, he snatched away the girl which I loved but don't worry I made it hundred time more worse that now he prays that he never had loved her. I will love you like no one else." I was disgusted by him. His words triggered something in my head that I can't point out. Like these events have happened before.

I kept trying to pull apart from him but he still managed to pull me towards him. Suddenly his hand was pushed away from mine and after that a loud sound of slapping was heard. I looked up to see Anthony holding his side cheek with one hand and Zack standing in front of him. Although he was very weak but still managed to maintain a fierce look on his face. I looked towards Anthony who was now cupping his left cheek.

"You shouldn't have done that little brother. You do know the consequences of this action, I believe what happened that day is still fresh in your mind. Don't give me another reason to make history repeat itself."