Partner Part 2

When Jim finally stumbled back into the GCPD after being roughed up by Aaron, he found himself surrounded by destruction. Dead bodies littered the floor. Suddenly he noticed his girlfriend Lee checking the pulses of bodies on the ground.

"Lee!" He shouted.

"Jim!" She cried, clearly shaken up.

"Are you hurt?" He asked her immediately.

"No, I was in my office, and I heard gunfire, and I hid. Where were you?" Lee whispered.

"Barbara was here—she lured me away," Jim answered, looking behind him. "Essen!"

He saw a crowd forming up on the balcony and ran up the stairs to see Essen on the ground with a bullet wound in her stomach. Lee checked her pulse, and glanced back at Jim, shaking her head.

"Hang on, hang on Sarah," Jim pleaded. "Boss. Boss, stay with me. Breathe."

Sarah turned to look at Jim. "It's a new day," she choked.

"Where's Y/N?" Jim realized suddenly.

"Jerome," Essen croaked with her dying breath. She gasped another inhale, her last inhalation, before her eyes glazed over, and her hand grew limp in Jim's.

Jim hung his head in grief. We were finally going to clean up the GCPD.

But so were Y/N and I.

"Why would Jerome kidnap Y/N but kill Sarah?" Lee wondered.

"She did manage to graze him with a bullet at the bus—but I'd think that would get her killed, not kidnapped," Jim reasoned, saving his grief for a later time.

"Unless..." Lee trailed off.

"Unless what?" Jim asked. "You don't mean to say...?"

"Jerome is unhinged, Jim. He destroyed his mother with an axe. His mother. There's no telling what kind of torture he'd be willing to put a cop through, especially one who shot him," Lee pointed out.

"No, it's more than that," Jim realized. "He's doing this also to get to me."

"Why would he want to get to you?" Lee wondered.

"Because I'm the one that arrested him? Who knows? But the point is, Barbara lured me away from here so that the rest of the Maniax could take away people that are important to me. It's a miracle that they didn't find you," Jim explained. "We need to find Y/N. Now."

"Jim, all available units have already been called back here to deal with this mess. We can't spare anyone right now," Lee tried to soothe him. "Besides, maybe they left something behind. Something that can help. There's nothing that we can do right now."

So Jim listened to reason, realizing that he would need to take charge in the wake of the incident. He ran around the GCPD, taking stock of injuries and losses in the department.

By the time Bruce arrived, Jim was lost in a trance, zoning out at nothing.

"Detective Gordon!" He shouted as he ran in with Alfred, halting a few feet in front of Jim.