Bundle of Joy

You bit your lip as you stared at the plus sign glaring at you from your hand. When your period was late, you immediately went out to purchase the test, unsure how you would feel about the news either way. Two more positive tests sat on the floor beside you. After all, you wanted to be absolutely sure of the results before you took further action.

What do I do now? The question bounced around your head, growing progressively louder the longer you were unable to come up with an answer.

Trying to find a place to start, you asked yourself, Do I want to keep this baby?

Your gut quickly told you that there was no way you could bring yourself to terminate the pregnancy. There are certainly others that feel the need to, and I can see how, but I'm not one of them. I'm the one that messed up, and I will take responsibility for this child.

But it wasn't like the mistake was made alone. Oh god, what am I gonna tell Jerome? I don't think he'd want the baby. Should I even tell him, or should I just get out while I have the chance?

Contemplating how you'd raise a baby alone and how being left out could make Jerome feel if he did want the baby made you realize that you had to tell him. Even if he wasn't happy, he wouldn't hurt you. He loved you. The two of you would make it work or go your separate ways like adults.

You heard the front door open and quickly stood, wiping your face of tears.

"Babydoll?" Jerome called out to you.

You opened the bathroom door and quietly walked out, pregnancy test still in hand, shutting the door behind you with a resounding click. Your heart pounded in your throat as you heard Jerome turn the corner, looking up to meet his worry-filled eyes.

"What's wrong, babygirl?" Jerome asked, confused. "Is your period bad today with the cramps and stuff? Do you need chocolate?"

"No, Jerome, it's not my period," you laughed through tears. "I... I don't really know how to tell you this—"

"Are you breaking up with me?" Jerome interrupted, thunderous.

"What? No, I just... something's happened," you replied lamely, still struggling for words.

"If you're not breaking up with me, I don't see what's so hard to tell me," he said casually. "You can tell me anything. I swear, your period hormones make you so weird sometimes."

"Jerome, I'm not on my period!" You shouted finally.

"You're not? But I thought this week was supposed to be it, like clockwork babe," Jerome protested.

"I'm pregnant," you blurted out. His eyes widened and his entire body froze. "I realized I was late earlier this week so I went and got some pregnancy tests. I just took them, and they're all positive."

You held out one of the positive tests for him to examine, which he took, still speechless.

"Look, I know you probably didn't want kids, but I'm having this baby, so if you don't want them, I guess this is it for us," you declared firmly.

Before you could say anything further, you were yanked into Jerome's hard chest, his larger form enveloping you in a warm hug. The pregnancy test clattered to the floor as he held you, breathing in your scent.

"Jerome—?" You inquired.

"I don't know how you think I couldn't want something we made," he said finally. "With what I do and my upbringing, I've had my reservations about bringing children into this world. But I love you, and if this baby has even a smidgen of you in them, I will love them too. It won't be easy, but we'll make this work—for us, and for the baby."

You pulled back to look in his eyes and were shocked to find them full of tears. "Really? You're not mad?"

"How could I be mad? I had a part in this too, if you'll recall, so it's not your fault alone," Jerome teased. "I would be happy to refresh your memory, if need be."

You blushed and buried your head in his chest again.

"It appears you do need a reminder of how much I love you. To bed we go!" Jerome declared, picking you up and carrying you away.
———————————————————————
Word Count: 726
This was requested by someone but I can't remember who. The alternate response is on the way! Stay safe everyone!
Gingy