Going For A Dip

***Dazz's POV

   "So, let me get this right. You decided, just because you like to work out, you could lift a hundred pound weight over your head when you were eight? How, in this world or the next, does that make sense?" I laughed as Ava showed me a picture of her in two full arm casts with a livid look on her face in a little hospital bed.

   "Hey, don't judge. I thought I was invincible. In my mind, nothing could touch me, no one could hurt me, and if they tried, they usually got a foot to the groin." I wince and she laughs. "But isn't that how most kids are? When we're little we either think we're this machine that never stops and can't be stopped, or we want to wrap ourselves in bubble wrap a few blankets and stay inside where there are no sharp objects." We both laugh.

   "Yeah, I guess so . . . but it was still stupid." She looks at me, grins and punches my arm hard enough to make me fall on my side. "Well, ow."

   "Moron." 

   "Whatever." 

   We look out at the crystal clear lake for a moment. I was glad that I was able to convince her to loosen up enough to come see it. This was my favorite place on the whole planet.

   "So, why do you like this lake so much?" She asks as if reading my mind. 

   I don't answer for moment. "When I was little . . . my brother and I used to come here and would swim for hours on end. We would come, no matter the weather, every other day to swim."

   "I didn't know you have a brother. Where is he?"

   I don't answer, just get up and start walking in the right direction. "Hey! Wait up! Where are you going?" She has to jog to keep up with my long strides. She keeps asking questions for a while, but eventually stops when it become evident I won't answer.

   We eventually come to a tree. The leaves make an upside down bowl shape and most f the branches were bare except for the ones n the top and side. AT the base of the tree was a stone. I walk over to it and kneel.

   I feel her come up behind me and gasp. "He died." It wasn't a question. Just a fact. 

                                                 In loving memory of Phaethon Wolf.
                                                Beloved son, brother, and friend.
                                               Cause of death: Drown in Clear Water Lake
                                               "We do not always know what is to come next for
                                               us, but when we get back up and face what
                                               knocked us down . . . that is true courage,
                                              strength, and most of all it shows that 
                                              we have the ability to fight back, and 

                                              fight back we will. For our friends 
                                              and for our families, we will fight."
                                              -Phaethon Wolf

   "He didn't just drown in that lake. He was murdered in it. I'll never forget the day I came here to meet up with him . . . and saw his lifeless body floating in the water." Suddenly, I felt her arms go around me from behind.

   "That's so awful. I'm so sorry that happened to you. No one should have to go through something like that." I put one hand over both of hers on my chest.